New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Guest wifi ssid

Good ideas? Share with us!
basd82

Guest wifi ssid

Post by basd82 »

I would like te posibilty have guest network for my guests at home.

THis network must not have access to my internal network but must have access to the internet.
ingo2

Re: Guest wifi ssid

Post by ingo2 »

I have similar whishes too:

separate wlan and LAN into different subnets with a (configurable) firewall inbetween. That should allow even the situation where th B3 runs just as a server (over LAN in the internal net) and offer guests a wireless access in a subnet.

Or even setup a true DMZ when used as a router with a secure network on eth1 and a DMZ network on wlan0.

Best regards,
Ingo
UNIX is user friendly, it's just picky about who its friends are.
gonk

Post by gonk »

Me too!
Puma

Post by Puma »

Would love this as well!

But won't be easy......

puma
Linux is like a wigwam - no windows, no gates, apache inside!
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

You can do it yourself. Just go into /etc/network/interfaces and create separate entries for eth1 and wlan0 to replace interface br0.

The problem with this scheme is that it complicates firewall configuration such that building a comprehensive web interface to control it (like the current one) may not be possible. I doubt that Excito will be jumping to this occasion.
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

...or to complicate things even further: The ultimate thing here would be having different SSID's with different networks. Connect to network "guest" and get only Internet access or connect to network "internal" and get full access.

I know it's not possible with current hardware, but that would be the coolest :D

/Daniel
gonk

Post by gonk »

I used to have a Dlink DIR-655 featuring a guest wifi zone. http://support.dlink.com/emulators/dir6 ... _Zone.html
The same could be set up on the OpenWRT-based Linksys device I used for a while after the Dlink died. http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/guest-wlan

I have the B3 because of the poor performance of the old Linksys router so, no, it should not be impossible.

And I must stress, again, that I want Excito to provide a function to lock DHCP-leases to MAC addresses!
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

I've added the following file to set a fixed DHCP address for the JetDirect card in my printer.

Code: Select all

root@b3:~# cat /etc/dnsmasq.d/hosts.conf
# Laserprinter - NPI3F6C38 - HP 2100 printer
dhcp-host=00:10:83:3f:6c:38,172.18.10.50
Restart dnsmasq for the change to take effect.