New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

B4 wishlist

Got comments on forum and website

Your most anticipated feature of the B4

More memory
18%
Faster CPU
26%
Separate bootable flash disk
21%
Less power consumption
No votes
smaller form factor
3%
Dual-range wifi simultaneously / multiple wifi SSIDs
15%
USB3
6%
Second eSata port
3%
LED display
3%
?? (something else)
6%

Total votes: 34

nobody

B4 wishlist

Post by nobody »

There's been a thread on what people would like most in their next purchase of the B4 :) Here's a compiled list. I'm curious what people value most.
Nrde

Re: B4 wishlist

Post by Nrde »

Difficult choice, but I think faster CPU and more memory would allow B4 to be a real server replacement when running web applications, web server, PHP etc.
Binkem

Post by Binkem »

The most important feature of the B2 and B3 for me has been that its power consumption is low and that it's passively cooled. Any improvement would be good, as long as those features are not compromised.

Martijn
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

I´d say that faster CPU and less power consumption are straight opposites. While I sometimes wish that the B3 could be faster (e.g. after uploading new images to my ImageMagick dependant photo-site) I do value the low power consumption most. As far as the list goes the bootable flash disk option seems more like a proposed solution to accomplish even less power consumption and I therefore don't think it should be a separate wishlist item. Also, I don't get the LED display option; LCD is clearly more power optimized and would allow for better resolution (read: enable displaying non-ASCII output). If any, more memory would be highest on my list, followed by USB3.
ryz

Post by ryz »

Would not an extra core or two be good. Normal there are several different services running at the same time which should be able to use some extra cores. Extra cores does not take that much in power consumption.
Nrde

Post by Nrde »

Gordon wrote:I´d say that faster CPU and less power consumption are straight opposites.
Unless the faster CPU is also more energy efficient, by design or manufacturing process.

But I agree, B4 should naturally keep all the good things B3 already has. I really don't want any fans on the housing for example.
86ivar

Post by 86ivar »

Would like a decent file transfer rate. like 60mb/s minimum.
Also two disk bays would be nice.
flash boot card/disk is a good idea.
led display is useless for me.
elsbernd

Post by elsbernd »

The main argument for buying my first B3 last week, is the fact, that there are no fans needed.

Developing a new B4 will have more memory and a faster CPU. Moore's law comes into my mind.
More memory means, that additional services can be run (faster).

But as long as no fans will be introduced, the only wish I have, after some first playing with the B3 is the introduction of enterprise disks, which can run 24 hours a day. (I've got a wd20ears-00m installed.) Including a extension of the manufacture-warranty to at least 3 years.

my 2 cents as a newbie.
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

86ivar wrote:Also two disk bays would be nice.
I hope not. One big plus with Excito servers are the form factor, I don't want them bigger. eSata is a very good thing for those in need of more disks.

/Daniel
nobody

Post by nobody »

True, but a B4-XL with two bays as a separate option is something i'd prefer to a RAID1 that carries over an eSata cable. Just look at all the threads that deal with RAIDs failing because of this!
86ivar

Post by 86ivar »

I would rather have one big box instead of two small ones.
swiss

Post by swiss »

With the priority to have a simple, safe (raid) and low power solution
I suggest an excito model with 2 internal bays for 2.5" HD.
Actually the model B3 should have the space for such small HDs.
This would be a B4 2slim :-)
As an "open" device the user should be able to add the HD's by himself.

The booting and firmware running from a SSD or a fast-flash would indeed be a nice to have too.