New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Linux music separate please

Good ideas? Share with us!
arigead

Linux music separate please

Post by arigead »

Hi all,
noobie here with a request. This may actually exist but I've been so busy I've not seen it at all ;-) Only heard about the product/project because of the FLOSS weekly interview and have to start saving my monies.

What would make things even better if your box handled my music better. I'm from the old days when music came on physical objects. There were black discs and then cassette and so on. Anyhow I have a music system which is designed to pump out fine quality music and the speakers to do it justice. Now with the new age I have a shed load of music on a disc somewhere and music and podcasts on my Android phone. If your server had music separate Audio connectors at the back for Left and Right so that I could connect it to my Amp and it was the same size as a Music Separate that would be just brilliant. So all I need is a size change and the audio connectors.

Once I have those two physical changes I could run a headless music system on the box. Maybe the box had a specific web page on the server in the box which let me access the music library from my phone or from my laptop if I'm sitting at my desk working. I can select the music I want and the music comes out of my proper Amp and speakers, not out of two shitty speakers on a laptop. In addition I could have an Internet Radio in the box and an App to control that as well.

In addition given that I have music and podcasts on my phone it'd be nice to be able to play them through the system so I could stream that audio from my phone over the wifi to the B3 and listen to it in brilliant quality.

Right as I said I'm a newbie. If such a system already exists sorry for the waste of Bandwidth, but if not get to work! Physical dimensions and Audio connector ain't a big swing in my book ;-) Please Please Please
Gordon

Re: Linux music separate please

Post by Gordon »

I remember those black discs. I even have a few that I still listen to because the remastered digital versions of them are an absolute horror to listen to (possibly a matter of taste).

As far as disturbing elements in music go, I think people might object to the noise that the B3 makes while running. Even though it's quite silent, there's still a little hum to be heard and an occasional rattle of the harddisk (which you can counter by installing an SSD, but these are still relatively small with storage space). Having a factory stereo output on the B3 seems to me like too much effort for something that would disappoint some or even many users.

Of course there's nothing stopping you to plug a USB audio device into the B3, but I like (and use) the solution suggested by Excito better. If you buy the B3 from Excito you can get a package deal with Logitech Squeezebox devices - these are small independent audio devices that can connect to the Media server on the B3 using either network cable or WiFi. I currently have two of these devices running at home: a (mono) radio alarm clock and the Squeezebox Touch connected to the living room stereo and I love them.
elsbernd

Post by elsbernd »

If you buy the B3 from Excito you can get a package deal with Logitech Squeezebox devices - these are small independent audio devices that can connect to the Media server on the B3 using either network cable or WiFi.
Although as a newbie, I would prefer the solution mentioned by arigead, I would like to give Squeezebox a chance to convince me. But don't find any hint on the web-site of excito about the Squeezebox-deal.
Binkem

Post by Binkem »

The Squeezebox/B3 bundle seems to have been removed from the Excito site. This doesn't stop you from buying both.
I've got the B3 and a squeezebox receiver, which are sadly no longer being produced. Both can be placed out of sight and the music can be controlled by a squeezebox controller or a smartphone or tablet computer (apps are available for both apple IOS and android).
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Hmm, you're right. It appears that the bundles are no longer offered. Doesn't really matter - you can buy squeezebox devices in many well sorted media stores and it takes less than five minutes to make them use your B3 rather than the default Logitech server on internet.
arigead

Post by arigead »

thanks so much for your responses. Yes the noise would certainly be an issue no humm is goo humm ;-)

I'm off to checkout the squeezebox
arigead

Post by arigead »

Holly Scissors! I was imagining this

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/speakers- ... sporter-se

it's over a grand!! I'll be getting the wee radio one if I can plug it into my stereo system ;-)
Binkem

Post by Binkem »

Funny,

I always thought this was a server for the Squeezeplayers in the network, but then I never read what this machine does after seeing the price.
nobody

Post by nobody »

yeah i miss the duet too
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

arigead wrote:Holly Scissors! I was imagining this

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/speakers- ... sporter-se

it's over a grand!! I'll be getting the wee radio one if I can plug it into my stereo system ;-)
The radio is a standalone unit that has no output to connect it to an amplifier - it's just the one builtin speaker producing a fairly good sound but mono.

Seems like choices are somewhat limited today as the "duet" (which is actually two devices that could also be acquired separately: SB Receiver and SB Controller) appears to be taken off-shelf, leaving only the SB Touch and that ridiculously priced apparatus for high end audiophiles. For regular use the SB Touch does a perfect job and my guess would be that you'll need at least a 5000 euro amplifier - loudspeaker combo to hear what difference that SB Transporter unit makes. Besides, you'll probably already own a good DAC if you're an audiophile and then you can just use the digital output on the SB touch.