New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Keeping Bubba cool

How are you using your Bubba? Got ideas for a cool modification? Share!
green-vette

Keeping Bubba cool

Post by green-vette »

In order to increase airflow around my Bubba, I thought it best to stand Bubba on its side. There is more surface area exposed for cooling but, the trade-off is that with a high center of gravity it would be subject to toppling, I designed a wooden frame to hold Bubba on its side. You may see a photo of Bubba's Bench at www.westbranchconsultants.com/bubba . If you choose to build one, the only critical dimension is the distance between the vertical surfaces which is exactly 43 mm. You probably will want to make sure the rear vent holes are clear. Someone with access to finned aluminum heatsink material could fabricate a Bubba's Bench which would have an additional advantage. If you have questions please email me at kb3om@rediffmail.com
bjorn

Post by bjorn »

Nice work! :)
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

Yes, really nice!
I had mine standing upright balanced on top of two empty cigarette packages, mainly to eliminate the vibrations from the HDD to oscillate in the thin wooden board in my larder where it lives. I since then bought some hefty glue-on rubber feet for it (the rubber feet advertised by Excito failed to be delivered), so now it sits on it's flat end with 5 mm clearance from the surface below. HDD temp never goes above 52 centigrade, even after several days of heavy torrent access.
obrut

Post by obrut »

I since then bought some hefty glue-on rubber feet for it (the rubber feet advertised by Excito failed to be delivered)
Mine got delivered and I had an extra set, so i put rubber feet on both the flat side and the edge. I have it standing on the edge, and if it tops over it will land smoothly on the extra rubber feet :)
helder

Post by helder »

Loved your idea! And it really seems to work (my bubba seems cooler now). Here's my "implementation":

and

I've used the rubber feet on the stand, the assembly is really stable. I've only take a shortcut, instead of using a bar between the two parts I've simply glued them to Bubba... Here goes my warranty! :-)

Helder
UK-Robbie

Hi

Post by UK-Robbie »

Good idea! :D