New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

circumventor on bubba?

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
rasel

circumventor on bubba?

Post by rasel »

Hello,

Since I'm new to bubba and linux, I want to ask first before digging a little further: Is is possible to install something like circumventor on bubba so that I can surf the web pages that are filtered by websense or other web filtering software.

Regards.
tor

Post by tor »

Hi rasel,

I think we need to know a bit more on your setup. But i think what you want to do is to install something like tinyproxy on bubba. When bubba is placed in a location with unlimited net access. And then configure the client computer in question to use that.

See fx http://excito.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t ... =tinyproxy

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer
rasel

Post by rasel »

Hello tor,

Thanks for the reply. I saw the post you mentioned about tinyproxy before. I think a simple proxy isn't enough for my needs. Here is my situation:

From work, I connect to the internet through a proxy that uses websense content filtering. And that proxy only allows port 80 and 443 requests.

I installed my Bubba at home and it has unlimited web access. So I need a web page that will run on Bubba which I can connect from my work without any problem and on that page enter any http address I want and Bubba will fetch and display it for me. Is it possible?

Regards.
bjorn

Post by bjorn »

Hello,

the trick to use with tiny-proxy is that you will send all traffic through a encrypted ssh-tunnel with putty or prefered ssh-client (by setting your browser to use the tunnel-to-your-proxy as proxy).

The content-proxy will never see anything else but encrypted traffic.

However, it might be worthwhile to stop and think about what you're trying to do. The filtering proxy was probably installed by IT-Management for a reason. Many companies has IT-Policies which regulates how the network can be used, and some of them state that bypassing network security settings is forbidden and will be regarded as a violation of your employment contract. Be aware that this setup might get you fired!
rasel

Post by rasel »

Hello bjorn,

Thank you for replying. I didn't know putty can tunnel tcp connections. Also thanks for your concern about ssh traffic can put me in trouble.

Before bubba, I was using logmein service with my work-home connection and it works pretty good. The only problem with this configuration is, my home pc must be always on. I don't want this since it
needs a lot of power and heats up pretty good.

After reading "putty tunneling" on internet, I think I'll try another solution:
I'll find a way to wake up my PC through bubba and use logmein service
for remote sessions.

Regards.
eeeuser1

Post by eeeuser1 »

I Know i'm a little late on this topic but do you need tinyproxy?

Can someone explain further for me?

To test this I setup an ubuntu server with openssh-server

run this command line on my windows box (with Putty installed)

putty -D 8080 -P 443 -ssh bubba.server.ip.address

and in Internet explorer I set the socks proxy to 127.0.0.1 port 8080

Is this it not done? will this not transfer to Bubba as such?

thanks

jeff

Hey, this might be my first post.
Bubba ordered yesterday!