New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Is my B3 dead ?

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
past_51

Is my B3 dead ?

Post by past_51 »

Dear all,

Looking up for some advise here...

I had my B3 running ArchLinux (sakaki's version).
I connected my external HDD through USB, with an external power, and my B3 rebooted from itself, then hang.
So, I rebooted without the external HDD connected, and it continues to hang.

When I try to boot, from the internal HDD, the front led is purple (no blinking), all Ethernet ports leds are up (no blinking), the internal led is red (no blinking), then everything stop, except the front led.

I also tried to boot from the USB key (on which I have the ArchLinux installer), same problem except the front led is green. I don't see any activity on my USB key (its led is not blinking).

Someone has an idea ?

Thanks,
past_51
sakaki

Re: Is my B3 dead ?

Post by sakaki »

Hi,

so your B3 rebooted on its own, as soon as you inserted the USB external HDD? That is strange. I've connected various USB drives and other devices to the B3 running Arch Linux (and Gentoo for that matter) and never seen it trigger a reboot on plug-in...

Anyway, I assume from what you say, that you have Arch installed on your internal HDD? If so, which version of the live USB did you install from? When you try booting from the live-USB, what exactly happens there? (I assume you have the external USB hard drive disconnected when trying to do this, but the internal HDD still present...) Just the initial green LED? No 'LED off' or 'purple LED' phase? (per this list)

Have you any way to test your internal HDD, by putting it in a PC for example? Failing that, you could remove it from your B3, set up the latest (1.1.3) arch linux live USB for diskless booting, and then boot from that (with no external USB drive connected either) to see if it comes up OK. Or, as an experiment, just try to boot from the latest Gentoo live USB (available here). It uses UUID-based naming for drives, so should work regardless of whether /dev/sda is the internal HDD or the live USB drive, and a completely different kernel, so trying that should eliminate a lot of variables.

let me know how you get on, best,

sakaki
past_51

Post by past_51 »

Hi sakaki,

Yes, it rebooted on its own, once the power of the external HDD was turned on (I can switch the power on or off on the external HDD).

I already used this external HDD with my B3 and had no problem. The HDD is recognized on my computer, and can browse it. The only difference is that I move from France to Canada, and that the power is not the same. I changed the power supply for the B3, but have a "holiday adaptater" for the external HDD (but the external HDD and the adaptater are working with my laptop).

I have the 1.1.3 version of the ArchLinux installed on the HDD, and was running fine when I plug the external HDD.

When I try to boot from the live USB with ArchLinux 1.1.3 installed, the external USB was unpluged, and the LED directly goes green once the power is turned on.

I will test this weekend the internal HDD on a computer and the Gentoo as live USB. I will let you know then.

Thanks for your help.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Hate to state the obvious, but a spontaneous reboot sounds like a power failure. My guess is that your B3 is not receiving enough amps to start up the disk and it will probably boot if you use the gentoo-no-disk USB image.
past_51

Post by past_51 »

Hi,

I can hear the internal HDD turning on during the boot.
I tested it on my laptop by connecting it to an external USB shelf, and it worked well.
So the internal disk shouldn't be the problem.

I will try the gentoo tomorrow.

Again, thanks for your help guys!
past_51

Post by past_51 »

Hi,

Some news here.
I tried to boot Gentoo from an live USB key, without any hdd.
It's not working. The front led goes and stays green, no blinking.
What is strange is that even if I put on the rear button and I plug the power, I don't see any access to the USB key (the USB key's LED is not blinking, and normaly it should during an access).

Someone has another idea ?

Thanks
sakaki

Post by sakaki »

Hi,

so, on my test B3, when booting off a USB key (Lexar 16GB, with an integral LED), serial console attached, rear-button pressed, I get (via the serial console):

Code: Select all

U-Boot 2010.06 (Jun 10 2011 - 09:06:51)
BUBBA|3

SoC:   Kirkwood 88F6281_A0
DRAM:  512 MiB
In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Net:   egiga0, egiga1
88E1116 Initializing on egiga0 @08 done
88E1116 Initializing on egiga1 @18 done
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0 
(Re)start USB...
USB:   Register 10011 NbrPorts 1
USB EHCI 1.00
scanning bus for devices... 3 USB Device(s) found
<continues...>
and it is at this point (before any kernel has even been loaded, we are still in U-Boot land, doing the USB bus scan) that the LED on the USB key first blinks.
The front LED (on the B3) is green during this process.

So, perhaps there is some issue with your B3, and U-Boot is not initializing correctly (perhaps failing some power-on self test?)

Maybe someone else on here, with more hardware knowledge than me, can help you diagnose further...

Do you have a custom version of U-Boot flashed, or anything like that?

best

sakaki
sakaki

Post by sakaki »

Hi past_51,

further update, I just borrowed an external (powered) Seagate USB drive and connected it to the B3 running Arch (1.1.3 version), it came up fine, even when I toggled the power to it while still connected (not very nice for the drive, but still...).

What make / model of external drive do you have?

One further thought. You wrote that:
past_51 wrote:I already used this external HDD with my B3 and had no problem. The HDD is recognized on my computer, and can browse it. The only difference is that I move from France to Canada, and that the power is not the same. I changed the power supply for the B3, but have a "holiday adaptater" for the external HDD (but the external HDD and the adaptater are working with my laptop).
Did you actually change the B3's power adaptor, or just the end plug? The B3 in front of me now (I'm in the UK) has the following label on its power adaptor:
So that ought to work pretty much anywhere in the world, with the right plug (or travel adaptor).

What does the power adaptor you are currently using for your B3 in Canada say on it (input and output section)? I'm just wondering if there's any chance you are running your B3 at too high or low a voltage (or with insufficient power/amps available), and that this didn't cause a problem until you connected another (powered) device (your external HDD) to it...

Did you manage to previously use the B3, with this newer (Canadian) power adaptor, and the external HDD under Debian? Or were you using the previous (French) power adaptor when running Debian?

Finally, do you by any chance have a serial cable connected to your B3?

best

sakaki
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

Im not sure if this is relevant but:
The B3 adapter is special in a way that it produces a lot of Amps. Most regular PSU cannot do this and underpower the box, which then refuses to start.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

I probably should have explained myself better when I suggested the power failure due to the USB device being attached/powered on. I too think that the replacement PSU is probably underpowered. It is likely that you may have referenced the documented power rating to end up with a more or less standard 18Watt PSU, thinking this would be more than sufficient. While it should be for running the B3, it is not for booting it. In fact if you have a Green drive inside it and did not apply the firmware patch for it, it will probably not even be sufficient to run the B3. This is because getting the Green drive in and out of park requires a relatively huge amount of power.
past_51

Post by past_51 »

sakaki wrote:Hi,

so, on my test B3, when booting off a USB key (Lexar 16GB, with an integral LED), serial console attached, rear-button pressed, I get (via the serial console):

Code: Select all

U-Boot 2010.06 (Jun 10 2011 - 09:06:51)
BUBBA|3

SoC:   Kirkwood 88F6281_A0
DRAM:  512 MiB
In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Net:   egiga0, egiga1
88E1116 Initializing on egiga0 @08 done
88E1116 Initializing on egiga1 @18 done
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0 
(Re)start USB...
USB:   Register 10011 NbrPorts 1
USB EHCI 1.00
scanning bus for devices... 3 USB Device(s) found
<continues...>
and it is at this point (before any kernel has even been loaded, we are still in U-Boot land, doing the USB bus scan) that the LED on the USB key first blinks.
The front LED (on the B3) is green during this process.

So, perhaps there is some issue with your B3, and U-Boot is not initializing correctly (perhaps failing some power-on self test?)

Maybe someone else on here, with more hardware knowledge than me, can help you diagnose further...

Do you have a custom version of U-Boot flashed, or anything like that?

best

sakaki
Hi sakaki,

My U-BOOT version is the one referenced in the HOWTO section, as I updated it to use an 4TB HDD.
I have this version since 6 months, multiple reboot and never had this problem.

Thanks,
past_51

Post by past_51 »

sakaki wrote:Hi past_51,

further update, I just borrowed an external (powered) Seagate USB drive and connected it to the B3 running Arch (1.1.3 version), it came up fine, even when I toggled the power to it while still connected (not very nice for the drive, but still...).

What make / model of external drive do you have?

One further thought. You wrote that:
past_51 wrote:I already used this external HDD with my B3 and had no problem. The HDD is recognized on my computer, and can browse it. The only difference is that I move from France to Canada, and that the power is not the same. I changed the power supply for the B3, but have a "holiday adaptater" for the external HDD (but the external HDD and the adaptater are working with my laptop).
Did you actually change the B3's power adaptor, or just the end plug? The B3 in front of me now (I'm in the UK) has the following label on its power adaptor:
So that ought to work pretty much anywhere in the world, with the right plug (or travel adaptor).

What does the power adaptor you are currently using for your B3 in Canada say on it (input and output section)? I'm just wondering if there's any chance you are running your B3 at too high or low a voltage (or with insufficient power/amps available), and that this didn't cause a problem until you connected another (powered) device (your external HDD) to it...

Did you manage to previously use the B3, with this newer (Canadian) power adaptor, and the external HDD under Debian? Or were you using the previous (French) power adaptor when running Debian?

Finally, do you by any chance have a serial cable connected to your B3?

best

sakaki
Hi again sakaki,

My external drive is the original WD Green 2TB I received with my B3.
I use it with an IcyBox (external dock for HDD), description is here: http://www.raidsonic.de/en/products/ext ... ectID=6159

The internal drive is a WD red 4TB.

I made a mistacke, I'm currently using the original PSU. I only changed the power cord!
It worked in Canada for 2 months without any problem.

No serial cable right now, but if it could save the life of my B3, I will maybe buy one (or find a B3 alternative).

Thanks,
past_51

Post by past_51 »

Ubi wrote:Im not sure if this is relevant but:
The B3 adapter is special in a way that it produces a lot of Amps. Most regular PSU cannot do this and underpower the box, which then refuses to start.
Hi Ubi,

As said, I made a mistake, the PSU is the original one. I only changed the power cord.
But, I agree, the PSU could be dead...

Thanks,
past_51

Post by past_51 »

Gordon wrote:I probably should have explained myself better when I suggested the power failure due to the USB device being attached/powered on. I too think that the replacement PSU is probably underpowered. It is likely that you may have referenced the documented power rating to end up with a more or less standard 18Watt PSU, thinking this would be more than sufficient. While it should be for running the B3, it is not for booting it. In fact if you have a Green drive inside it and did not apply the firmware patch for it, it will probably not even be sufficient to run the B3. This is because getting the Green drive in and out of park requires a relatively huge amount of power.
Hi Gordon,

As just explaine to Ubi and sakaki, I made a mistake, the PSU remained the same.
I only changed the power cord and it worked for a while.

I will see if I can check with another PSU, just to be sure mine is working well or not.

Thanks,