New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

replace B2 hard disk

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
franks

replace B2 hard disk

Post by franks »

Hello,

My Bubba 2 hard disk started to behave strangely so I want to replace it. Are there instructions somewhere how to do this?

Tia,

Frank
Ubi

Re: replace B2 hard disk

Post by Ubi »

Just screw it open, swapping the disk is super easy.
Afterwards reinstall the OS: http://wiki.mybubba.org/wiki/index.php/ ... ubba2_/_B3
86ivar

Post by 86ivar »

Also if you buy a wd green disk, consider turning off head parking. You need to connect the disk to a computer and run the wdidle3 tool/script.
And dont forget to put the heat conductive tape on the new disk.
franks

Post by franks »

Thank you for your replies.

It was realy very easy; only a bit scary when you don't know how much force you can use. I needed pliers to pull out he hard disk.
I did put back the tape. Should I replace the tape or can I just reuse the old tape?

86ivar: what is the 'wdidle3 tool/script'? I place a WD 2TB red disk.

Thanks again,

Frank
Puma

Post by Puma »

The B2 and B3 are fanless so you need a low consumption harddisc to get the tempature as low as possible.
Thats why a WD green is advised.
But you got a WD RED which a good solution as well. (low power consumption)
WD green and red have an intelly park function (head park) every 8 seconds... this leads to a huge load unload cycles. A solution was the Wdidle3 tool. (still is for every WD green)
You don't need this if you have a new WD RED disc dated this year. WD set the function for the RED discs to 300 seconds which is ok.

You should use the tape the heat of the disc then can be conducted to the outside of the housing.

Good luck.

Puma
Linux is like a wigwam - no windows, no gates, apache inside!
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Puma wrote:WD green and red have an intelly park function (head park) every 8 seconds... this leads to a huge load unload cycles. A solution was the Wdidle3 tool. (still is for every WD green)
You don't need this if you have a new WD RED disc dated this year. WD set the function for the RED discs to 300 seconds which is ok.
If my memory serves me correct, the WD Red drive does not have "intellipark" and the WD Green drive has a default factory setting of 12.3 seconds idle time before going to park. Both drives do have the "intellispeed" though and will rev slower when possible, resulting in less heat generation. Performance wise there does not seem to be much difference between the drives, although some of the Green drives have a smaller disk cache. In honesty I think the fact that the Red drives are somewhat more expensive is simply marketing, only saving the hassle of needing to run the wdidle tool to prevent the Green drive from destroying itself on a system that accesses the disk every ~15 seconds - just enough time to let intellipark kick in.

The wdidle tool is included in the Bubba OS installation by the way. It's hidden though in an archive in /usr/share/bubba-backend/
86ivar

Post by 86ivar »

The embedded wdidle tool only works on a B3. The sata controller in B2 is not compatible, thus you need to connect it to a computer.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Ah, silly me.

Forgot to note that this was about B2. Yes, the wdidle3 tool in bubba-backend package is for ARM only and as it turns out there was a previous discussion in which was concluded that the alternative idle3-tools didn't go well with the B2 hardware.