New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

VLAN between Bubba2 & RasPi?

How are you using your Bubba Two or Excito B3? Got pictures? Share here!
paulchany

VLAN between Bubba2 & RasPi?

Post by paulchany »

Hi,

I wish to set up my home network this like:

Bubba2 ( installed Gentoo ) -- D-Link Switch -- Raspberry Pi 2 ( installed Gentoo ).

On Raspberry Pi 2 I wish to run Moodle site for just 10-15 pupils of mine.
Raspberry Pi 2 has only one Ethernet port.

I heared that that in such situation one can set up VLAN between a server and RasPi so so the only one Ethernet port on RasPi can used for WAN and for LAN too.

How can I set up Bubba 2 and RasPi 2 to get this working?

Any advices will be appreciated!
Best, Pali
paulchany

Re: VLAN between Bubba2 & RasPi?

Post by paulchany »

I found this link with a short description what is VLAN and this beginners' guide to VLANs.
I don't have smart switch but plug & play switch only however I don't care now about network security at my home network.
So I think that that on Bubba2 the LAN ethernet port and the ethernet port of Raspberry Pi 2 should be configured as a VLAN network interfaces. So far I don't know what to do next to get VLAN working.
Best, Pali
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Don't know why you think you need VLAN, but if you do not own a switch that can handle VLAN tagging there's little to no sense to it. VLAN tagging is about splitting your network and must not only be supported by both ends of the physical wire but both ends also need to be configured to use the same tag/ID. While theoretically you could run a cable from the B2 straight to the RPi (i.e. without a switch between them) and make them both behave like there are two separate cables in parallel I fail to see the point of doing so. It will be much simpler to define any blocking you would want in here by using iptables.
paulchany

Post by paulchany »

I think that that I want to use here VLAN because that was an advice to my question on some other place on the Internet: http://moopi.uk

My question was: how can I connect the Raspberry Pi 2 to my Bubba 2 so, so I can install a Moodle on the RasPi?

That Moodle should be used from the Internet by my 10-15 pupils.

In such circumstances the ethernet port of RasPi must be used as a WAN and as a LAN port in the same time, right?
Best, Pali
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

No.

You simply add a forward/DNAT rule in the firewall to redirect traffic destined for port 443(?) to the RPi sitting in your LAN. Configuring a VLAN for this use case does not add anything and if your switch does not support it you will be likely to find that traffic is stopped completely.