New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Bubbagen Live-USB 1.8.2 released (openRC)

Discuss development on Bubba
Gordon

Bubbagen Live-USB 1.8.2 released (openRC)

Post by Gordon »

Hi,

I have just released version 1.8.2 of the Live USB of Bubbagen for the B3 on GitHub

You may ask: what is Bubbagen? Bubbagen extends Sakaki's gentoo-on-b3 with the full functionality of the original Excito "Bubba" system and is here provided as a full-blown operating system for you to try without needing to change or harm your existing installation. As with Sakaki's gentoo-on-b3 Live-USB, you can even use this on a diskless B3.

While this is the very first release of Bubbagen since the completion of the Bubba overlay, I have decided that the version number should reference the core legwork done by Sakaki. The reason why this is version 1.8.2 and not 1.8.1 is that just when I was ready to finish work on the 1.8.1 release, Perl 5.22 got marked stable for ARM and I had to redo just about everything. So essentially there is also a 1.8.1 release, but it never left beta and got replaced by 1.8.2 with the new Perl. If you like to know what else is on the Live USB, here is a full package list.

Do note that this system was designed to be controlled by the web admin UI. There are some changes to the original Excito software though, such as that it will respect and keep settings outside the range of the admin interface. Such as network interfaces other than eth0, eth1, wlan0 and br0 - outside these NICs you can define anything you like with regards to networking. If you touch, change or dereference config files that are controlled by the web admin interface you'll be pretty much on your own. But then, that is the Excito concept after all.

Feedback is, as always, welcome.
Gordon
Last edited by Gordon on 08 Aug 2016, 11:23, edited 1 time in total.
Gordon

Re: Bubbagen Live-USB 1.8.2 released

Post by Gordon »

Some additional software details:
  • There is no MySQL
    It simply consumes too much memory and it was the simplest thing to drop without changing overall functionality (it was never exposed to the outside anyway)
  • There is no Tor
    Tor has software dependencies that require '-bindist' USE flag to be set. Obviously since I am distributing this as a binary I cannot set that. You are however free to install it yourself. The Tor service will automatically show in the services view of the Bubba web admin interface once installed.
  • There is no Horde
    Horde uses a PEAR installation method. Again you are free to implement it yourself. It currently actually looks a lot better than the ancient version that was in the original Bubba OS, but most users will probably only be interested in webmail. The image provides this using Roundcube webmail.
  • There is no bubba-album
    This would have probably required a full rewrite. Bubba-album uses MySQL and it was my objective to get rid of that memory devouring database. An alternative is offered through Singapore Gallery (sgal), configured to use CSV files but may optionally use SQLite as well.
  • Easyfind
    Easyfind service is handled by the package forked-easyfind-client. If you intend to reference this preview to upgrade an existing gentoo-on-b3 install with bubba overlay additions, please uninstall package bubba-easyfind prior to installing the new client. There is a block that prevents them to coexist.

Note: forked-easyfind-client derives it code from the new C-based easyfind client written by MouettE and combines it with the functionality of the old bubba-easyfind Perl and Python based scripts.
  • Firefly - DAAP
    I can't really verify this. What I do know is that forked-daapd does not have a web UI and I suppose it will be likely that the Firefly webapp started from the Bubba UI mainpage will not be able to run with it. From what I read it should work with current Apple listening devices though.
Everything else is just new and improved versions of what you either know or don't care about.
Gordon

Re: Bubbagen Live-USB 1.8.2 released

Post by Gordon »

Hi,

I have become aware of a few issues with the Live USB:
  1. Due to a service naming inconsistency you cannot start the DAAP service from the Web UI. An update for bubba-frontend and bubba-backend that fixes this is available.
  2. Somehow the data folders for Logitechmediaserver got stamped with an incorrect owner during creation of the image, causing this service not to start as well. A reinstall of logitechmediaserver-bin should fix this.
  3. There is a pending (incorrect) update for a conf file in /etc that you will be notified of when you run the package manager 'emerge'. Run 'etc-update' and select to ignore that update.
  4. A bash syntax error is displayed when running the installer. This should not cause the installer to fail, but it might if you are reusing a disk from a system that uses different partitioning schemes. An update to bubba-install that fixes this is available.
Sorry about the inconvenience that these issues may cause or have caused you. As I am currently working on moving to systemd it's rather difficult for me to publish a revision right now. Running the updates shouldn't take too long though.

Please start by updating the package list:

Code: Select all

eix-sync
Then run the updates:

Code: Select all

emerge -O1 bubba-backend bubba-frontend logitechmediaserver-bin bubba-install
This is quite verbose and will spit out a lot of info to your screen. There's no need to read through all of it. The interesting parts will always be printed in either green, yellow or red and summarized on the end.