New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Kernel 3.2 for B2/B3

Discuss development on Bubba
MouettE
Site admin

Re: Kernel 3.2 for B2/B3

Post by MouettE »

This kernel is not maintained any more. Check out the debian jessie image thread for B2/B3 here if you want to install a minimal jessie image.
axm

Post by axm »

Back from holiday - thanks for the reply.

As I said I'd rather avoid a full reinstall on the first try - anf if something cannot be done, I like to understand why not. (Aa a backup plan a full reinstall is of course always an option.)

I do not understand why ongoing maintenance of that kernel is important for an update route in small steps - I would think that a current version is not required for that. Or is that kernel incompatible with the original bubba install in the first place? (And on a side note: where is written where newer kernels are loaded from on updates? Is there a meta package for that?)

Sorry - I do not have a full grasp on how distribution and kernel (family?) are related to each other in this case, and this is probably not the best place to ask these questions, but I do not know a better one.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

axm wrote: I do not understand why ongoing maintenance of that kernel is important for an update route in small steps - I would think that a current version is not required for that. Or is that kernel incompatible with the original bubba install in the first place? (And on a side note: where is written where newer kernels are loaded from on updates? Is there a meta package for that?)
From the package name, my guess would be that this kernel should be compatible with the original bubba install. You should be aware though that to be able to use this kernel you will also need to flash your B3 with a newer version of u-boot (u-boot is what loads your kernel. This is somewhat tricky and you really should not even consider to do it if you don't have a serial console line towards your B3. The newer developments are built around kernels that will run on unaltered B3s and as such are a safer bet to result in a running system instead of a rather expensive paperweight.

Is it important that the kernel is maintained? Well: yes and no. As said it will likely work with your current Wheezy install and bubba packages (which have a dependency to package bubba3-kernel). My guess is that MouettE found that when upgrading other packages and moving on to Jessie, the bubba packages broke anyway. This makes it kind of pointless to maintain a package named bubba3-kernel, which I think is what he was referring to. That the route you are trying to take will end in disappointment.
axm

Post by axm »

Thanks for the clarification regarding uboot and the differences regarding this kernel and the one in the maintained release.

From my understanding it should be possible to extract that kernel from there and do a "step by step" upgrade, but due to minor incompabilities that route would probably be more painful than redoing any other setup. Will do the latter now.

PS: finally got around to turn on notify by default forum option ...
beatgr

Post by beatgr »

axm -

My Excito B2 is also running old kernel (2012), so I need to decide path forward.

b2:~$ uname -a
Linux b2 2.6.39.4-13 #1 Sat Apr 21 00:42:46 CEST 2012 ppc GNU/Linux

greg
axm

Post by axm »

As I said, I have given up on an update path and plan to reinstall, but I have not had the time yet to actually do so. If you are successful, I am still interested.
beatgr

Post by beatgr »

I started the BACKUP of my Storage Directory on the Bubba|2 (~1.3 TB) ..... that will take awhile.

In the meantime, I have followed instructions by MouettE to create Debian jessie image 1.0
on the USB boot key for my Bubba|2.
I edited the file: install.ini for non-wipe mode.

greg