New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Gentoo live-USB for Bubba|2 updated (rev 1 boards supported)

Discuss development on Bubba
andy_b2_user

Re: Gentoo live-USB for Bubba|2 updated (rev 1 boards supported)

Post by andy_b2_user »

It's Alive Again

I decided to obtain a serial lead to see what was happening during the boot process and bingo the unit booted at the 1st attempt from an usb image. At present I have manually copied the live usb image onto a hard disc as the script failed, changed the fstab file and rebooted the machine. The following forum item appears to be the same problem “can’t boot when serial cable is to powered off pc ". If the update is successful I intend to solder a pullup resistor to the serial Rx lead to prevent it floating.

:D

Andy
andy_b2_user

Post by andy_b2_user »

Progress I hope.

Following the details in the above posts, I now have GCC updated and the binary files saved on a different disc.
I cannot emerge @ world as to many error messages are listed, so to reduce the log size I ran emerge on @system, which failed due to perl.

More Google searching with various options found, I decided to try the details in the second post here
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1047450.html

Now waiting for the outcome in the next few days.

Andy
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Ah yes. Perl is quite nasty when moving to a newer version. There are no vital components that require perl though, so it is quite okay to follow the suggested method of upgrading perl with --nodeps and then run perl-cleaner.
andy_b2_user

Post by andy_b2_user »

Thanks Gordon.

I had to add options "-u" and "--keep-going" to skip problems with DBD-mysql-4.41.0 and Error-0.170.240.

Running perl-cleaner --all fails due to dependencies with mariadb.

I am not sure what to do next so running emerge --deep --with-bdeps=y --changed-use --update --pretend --verbose @world and hoping that it may give some clues.

Andy
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Seems familiar. Of course in my system I eliminated mysql, so I don't get this particular issue any more. Nasty trick, but you can simply remove these two packages, DBD-mysql and Error. Then reattempt the updates. Whatever is not pulled in automatically during the updates can be fixed later by running revdep-rebuild. Have done this several times with systems that had fallen back a year or more.
andy_b2_user

Post by andy_b2_user »

Hi Gordon.

I wondered if removing mysql / mariadb would work, but with my limited use of gentoo they appeared to have dependencies with other modules, that I decided to leave them. All I required is a basic setup with file access for use as an 2nd backup, which I hope to transfer to an ssd drive. If I can rebuild the kernel to support an usb wifi dongle, that would be an extra.

At present the system is emerging 2 of 253 jobs, which will take a few days to complete.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

AFAIK there is nothing in Sakaki's original image that would require MySQL. She just added it because people requested it and doing the compile job yourself (without a crossdev environment) takes more or less forever.

There are likely some circular dependencies, including dev-perl/DBD-mysql en probably some other perl DBD* and DBI* packages as well. There will also be a virtual/mysql package which is a place holder for the dependency system and I think there may be a python module as well.
sakaki

Post by sakaki »

Hi Andy,

I've recently been gifted a replacement B2, and have just released a 1.4.0 live USB (on GitHub, here) with a fully updated package set (as of 25 Mar 2017) and 4.9.16 LTS kernel. You may find this more convenient to use than soldiering on with the update (which will probably take the best part of a week without distcc/crossdev acceleration...).

I've also set up the B2 to do an automated weekly genup run, pushing the resulting binary files to a PORTAGE_BINHOST at https://isshoni.org/b2 (the 1.4.0 image is subscribed to this by default); I can't guarantee to keep this running forever, but if you do use it, future updates should be a lot faster, at least for packages included on the image. To do so just add to make.conf:

Code: Select all

FEATURES="${FEATURES} getbinpkg"
PORTAGE_BINHOST="https://isshoni.org/b2"
hth, best, sakaki
andy_b2_user

Post by andy_b2_user »

Great News.

I will change the make.conf file to update from the website. I decide yesterday to remove the packages I did not need. Unfortunately I cannot stop apache and cups from installing itself again. I suspect that a missed dependencies, still need finding.

Also in playing a noticed that gentoo is available for the raspberry pi 3. and the next project will be to give that a try. But the last two sandisk microSD cards have failed. Now looking into using a usb boot setup once I have finished the B2.

Many thanks for all the work required to provide the images.

Andy
sakaki

Post by sakaki »

Hi,
andy_b2_user wrote: 25 Mar 2017, 16:09 noticed that gentoo is available for the raspberry pi 3. and the next project will be to give that a try
well FWIW I have a 64-bit Gentoo image for the RPi3, here, if that is of interest. Currently my daily driver.
Best, sakaki
sakaki

Post by sakaki »

Andy - one other quick point I forgot to mention - if you already have a long @world merge running, you will need to restart it (after updating make.conf) for it to use the prebuilt binary packages from isshoni.org.
Best, sakaki