New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Bubbagen live-USB for B3 updated (version 1.13)

Discuss development on Bubba
Gordon

Bubbagen live-USB for B3 updated (version 1.13)

Post by Gordon »

Hi,

I've just released version 1.13 of the Bubbagen live-USB image for B3 on GitHub.

This release fixes a number of installation issues and eases maintenance by Bubbagen owning key portage config files required to keep the system healthy. A major change with this release is that the `bindist` USE flag and associated settings have been pre-removed from the configuration as these proved to be a nuisance for live environments. Do note that this will cause your installation to want to rebuild several packages because of course the distributed image does obey the bindist restrictions.

Key change in this release is the swap from iptables to nftables as the firewall back-end. Should you prefer to revert to iptables, simply delete `/etc/portage/package.use/nftables` and rerun world updates.

Note: This will most likely be the last version of Bubbagen to feature built-in torrent support. Should someone be willing to review the libtorrent code in the filetransferdaemon package and bring it up to date with current versioning I will be more than happy to keep it up, but to prevent issues with future upstream updates I can no longer support this feature the way it is.

Known issues:
  • When changing the time zone the web interface may show you an incorrect time on some pages (the extensible clock on the right is actually javascript and thus should show your client's time rather than the B3's). To align them all you should restart the B3 (or at least apache2 and bubba-adminphp services).
  • Changing the network profile may completely destroy networking on the B3 if you have wifi enabled or added custom interfaces and/or bridges. If you need to change the profile please do so before making any changes to the default network setup and then never touch it again.
The supplied kernel is Gentoo LTS version 4.19.52. All packages have been brought up to date as of Jan 05, 2020 ¹)

Enjoy,
Gordon

¹) Some packages withheld due to patent restrictions or because the newer versions are incompatible with core Bubba functionality.
Last edited by Gordon on 11 Jan 2020, 14:19, edited 1 time in total.
ahoff

Re: Bubbagen live-USB for B3 updated (version 1.13)

Post by ahoff »

I get "404 page not found" when trying to download the image :-(
Åke Hoff
Örskogen
Sweden
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Sorry. There was a tiny mix-up with file naming. Should be fine now.

PS did you download an earlier release of Bubbagen? Might be interested to know that if you are running an older version you don't actually need to write the image to a USB stick. The new installer allows that you loop mount the unpacked image file on the existing system (below /home) and run the installer from there. Make sure to follow instructions displayed on screen, particularly when upgrading or converting from systemd.
ahoff

Post by ahoff »

PS did you download an earlier release of Bubbagen? Might be interested to know that if you are running an older version you don't actually need to write the image to a USB stick.
No, I have not, but it's good to know until the next release of BubbaGen.
I am an old Bubba user who started with Bubba server (Bubba 1) and now I want to test something other than Debian. I have some B3s lying around that I bought from the states. Ideally I would like the B3 to boot and run the system from a USB-stick and have the internal hard drive as /home, but it seems a bit tricky to get to. Playing with the u-boot can be "Risky business" as MouettE says.
Åke Hoff
Örskogen
Sweden
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Yes, you really need serial console access to manipulate the u-boot environment. I actually do have one live system that boots straight from USB, but that's only to overcome the problem that the installed SSD is not recognized by u-boot. The USB really only contains the preboot kernel that allows me to access the SSD and boot the real system. I would in fact not recommend running from USB for a prolonged period of time because this type of storage is really not suited for frequent writes like the Linux kernel does.
ahoff

Post by ahoff »

I would in fact not recommend running from USB for a prolonged period of time because this type of storage is really not suited for frequent writes like the Linux kernel does.
Ok! Thanks for the warning.
Åke Hoff
Örskogen
Sweden
ahoff

Post by ahoff »

Hmm. I only get to the 3rd stage "purple"... I've tested both images with two different USB keys :-( Trying a cheaper one... Nope.. No sucsess :-(
Åke Hoff
Örskogen
Sweden
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Right. Seems I was a bit too thorough reviewing the files in /etc and I wiped the executable bit from the start/stop scripts in /etc/local.d

The system should in fact be up, it's just the front led colour not being changed to indicate that it has reached its running state.

I'm also noticing now that Apache web server is only binding to tcp6, which is not an issue in my network and I can in fact also connect by specifying the ipv4 address in the URI, but should it cause problems in your network just let me know.
beezle

Post by beezle »

hi there

first of all thanks to continue the work on the B3! I want to use my old B3 miniserver as a storage device for my dreambox 525HD so I can use the recording features from it. I'm fairly new to gentoo linux.. so maybe my question is a bit silly, sorry for that :roll:

I've just installed your image on my b3. Now I wanted to update to the latest versions so I ran genup as mentioned in the README..

this is my output after portage update:

Code: Select all

* Bringing Portage itself up to date...

* IMPORTANT: 2 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
 * Use eselect news read to view new items.

Calculating dependencies... done!

WARNING: One or more updates/rebuilds have been skipped due to a dependency conflict:

sys-apps/portage:0

(sys-apps/portage-2.3.89-r1:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) conflicts with
    sys-apps/portage[python_targets_python2_7(-),-python_single_target_pypy(-),-python_single_target_python2_7(-)] required by (app-portage/layman-2.0.0-r3:0/0::gentoo, installed)

!!! The following installed packages are masked:
- virtual/shadow-0::gentoo (masked by: package.mask)
/usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
# Mikle Kolyada <zlogene@gentoo.org> (2020-03-07)
# virtual/shadow has the only alive provider.
# sys-apps/hardened-shadow is unmaintained for the past
# five years (at least). Upstream is dead.
# Removal in 30 days.
and after Updating @world set, it gives me this:

!!! Multiple package instances within a single package slot have been pulled
!!! into the dependency graph, resulting in a slot conflict:

dev-libs/openssl:0

(dev-libs/openssl-1.1.1d-r3:0/1.1::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    >=dev-libs/openssl-1.1.0g:0[bindist=] required by (net-misc/openssh-8.1_p1-r3:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
                                ^^^^^^^^

(dev-libs/openssl-1.1.1d-r3:0/1.1::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    dev-libs/openssl:0=[-bindist] required by (net-wireless/hostapd-2.9-r1:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
                        ^^^^^^^^

dev-libs/boost:0

(dev-libs/boost-1.72.0-r1:0/1.72.0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    (no parents that aren't satisfied by other packages in this slot)

(dev-libs/boost-1.65.0:0/1.65.0::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    dev-libs/boost:0/1.65.0=[threads] required by (net-libs/libtorrent-rasterbar-1.0.11-r1:0/8::bubba, installed)
                  ^^^^^^^^^^
    <dev-libs/boost-1.70 required by (net-p2p/filetransferdaemon-0.55-r6:0/0::bubba, installed)
    ^               ^^^^

dev-util/boost-build:0

(dev-util/boost-build-1.72.0:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    =dev-util/boost-build-1.72* required by (dev-libs/boost-1.72.0-r1:0/1.72.0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    ^                     ^^^^^

(dev-util/boost-build-1.65.0:0/0::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    =dev-util/boost-build-1.65* required by (dev-libs/boost-1.65.0:0/1.65.0::gentoo, installed)
    ^                     ^^^^^

It may be possible to solve this problem by using package.mask to
prevent one of those packages from being selected. However, it is also
possible that conflicting dependencies exist such that they are
impossible to satisfy simultaneously.  If such a conflict exists in
the dependencies of two different packages, then those packages can
not be installed simultaneously.

For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man
page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.

The following USE changes are necessary to proceed:
 (see "package.use" in the portage(5) man page for more details)
# required by net-wireless/hostapd-2.9-r1::gentoo[-libressl,-internal-tls]
# required by @selected
# required by @world (argument)
>=dev-libs/openssl-1.1.1d-r3 -bindist

Use --autounmask-write to write changes to config files (honoring
CONFIG_PROTECT). Carefully examine the list of proposed changes,
paying special attention to mask or keyword changes that may expose
experimental or unstable packages.

* In order to avoid wasting time, backtracking has terminated early
 * due to the above autounmask change(s). The --autounmask-backtrack=y
 * option can be used to force further backtracking, but there is no
 * guarantee that it will produce a solution.
emerge: It seems we have nothing to resume...
* genup: Warning: emerge completed successfully, but only by restricting
* genup: Warning: build parallelism and distcc

* genup: Error: Could not update @world because config changes required (please see above) - exiting
Have I done something wrong here or what should I do now?

thanks in advance
beezle
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Hi beezle,

The official policy of Gentoo is that you should always upgrade `portage` first after checking for updates. The automation script `genup`, which is maintained by sakaki-, follows that policy but lately there have been some updates to `portage` that seem to cause a conflict in the dependency calculations. It should install correctly as part of the `@world` upgrades.

The `openssh` related message is somewhat unexpected. What it says is that during upgrade it prefers the USE flag value for `bindist` that is set on the current installed version over this flag having been removed from the system (but not explicitly disabled it). The upgrade should run successfully if you prepend the command with ` USE="-bindist" `

Old `boost` is being pulled in because of torrent support. I fear I was wrong not to drop it already for both this release and in the overlay. I'll update the latter somewhere next week and if all goes well it should apply to your system as well.

Gordon
beezle

Post by beezle »

Hi Gordon

Thank you for your reply and sorry for my late answer. I ran the command

USE="-bindist" genup
yesterday at noon. It is still running since then :D

But it looks like it could do the updates now.. I will reply when its done and maybe the portage, openssh and boost messages will be gone.

In the meantime I've got seen this message:

* Determining the location of the kernel source code
 * Unable to find kernel sources at /usr/src/linux
 * Please make sure that /usr/src/linux points at your running kernel,
 * (or the kernel you wish to build against).
 * Alternatively, set the KERNEL_DIR environment variable to the kernel sources location
 * Unable to calculate Linux Kernel version for build, attempting to use running version
 * Checking for suitable kernel configuration options...
After a quick view in the README it was clear what is missing. But can you tell me which kernel I've to choose from the list?

Thanks and kind regards
beezle
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Hi,

You should normally not need the kernel sources. Some installations do try to check kernel configuration options though.

The warning should go away if you copy the associated files over from `/boot` to the kernel source directory.

sh
echo "copy the kernel config files to the source dir"
cd /usr/src
KERNEL_VERSION=$(uname -r)
KERNEL_SOURCEDIR=$(readlink /lib/modules/${KERNEL_VERSION}/build)
mkdir -p ${KERNEL_SOURCEDIR}
rm -f linux
ln -s $(echo ${KERNEL_SOURCEDIR} | awk -F/ '{print $NF}') linux

mount /boot
cp -a /boot/config-${KERNEL_VERSION} linux/.config
cp -a /boot/System.map-${KERNEL_VERSION} linux/System.map
cp -a /boot/Module.symvers-${KERNEL_VERSION} linux/Module.symvers
umount /boot
exit
beezle

Post by beezle »

Hi Gordon

Thanks for your advise. I did so and now I'm still waiting for my b3 to complete the update procedure..

Kind regards
beezle

Post by beezle »

Hi,
I just wanted to roundup. After the first long run of genup I ran the `dispatch-conf` and merged the files. Logged back in and ran `USE="-bindist" genup` again to make sure the mentioned kernel configuration options will not claim.. Some packages caused rebuild but those ran without claims.

Everything is now up to date and running fine.

Thank you so much for your effords and support!
Cheers, beezle
beatgr

Post by beatgr »

My Excito B3 had an issue, was not booting from 3 TB hard drive. The old image USB was not working either.
==
So I installed the Bootable live-USB of Bubba OS on my SanDisk Cruzer Fit 16GB USB.
It successfully loaded on B3 , but did not mount the 3 TB hard drive.
LED was Green !
Logged in via SSH, and Ran “genup” ...
ran across issue where it was looking for path on Gordon’s repository (could not find).
I will see if that session was captured to recover.

Loaded the image on /dev/sda (3 TB hard drive), THEN “reboot”. LED is Blue !

greg