New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Maximum disk size

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
philgaskin

Maximum disk size

Post by philgaskin »

My B3 is 10 years old and still in everyday use - mainly as a file and media server now with some bespoke home automation I’ve built over the years. It has been behind a firewall on my LAN since it became slower at routing than my fibre connection, so I’ve not been worried about security vulnerabilities.
Anyway I’ve decided to give it a new lease of life and upgrade to Debian Buster after following the excellent work by MouettE.
As part of the process, I will replace the current 3TB WD Red disk which has provided many years of trouble-free storage.
I was wondering what the maximum supported disk size is for both the internal disk and external eSata Bubba Storage disk (just as an additional mounted volume and not as an extension of the internal disk).
I’m not sure if disk size is restricted by the distribution, kernel or hardware, but would appreciate any feedback from others who have successfully managed to use bigger disks. I see that WD now has disk options up to 18TB.
Any feedback is appreciated.
Phil
Gordon

Re: Maximum disk size

Post by Gordon »

There's no real limitation that I'm aware of. That said, I did have to hack one of my units to prefer boot from USB in order to allow it to run from the installed SSD drive. Do note though that if you choose a mechanical drive it must be a low rev drive - no more than 5400 RPM. Nothing real serious of course. As Johannes once explained, the speeding disk will fry itself long before the B3 hardware will suffer any damage. :mrgreen:
philgaskin

Re: Maximum disk size

Post by philgaskin »

Thanks Gordon. I will probably go with a 6TB or 8TB WD Red disk which are 5400RPM and designed for NAS use.