New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Debian buster (10) image 1.0 released for B3

Discuss development on Bubba
matse

Re: Debian buster (10) image 1.0 released for B3

Post by matse »

Hi!

I have a B3 that is getting a bit old (original OS) and would like to get it up to date (with latest versions of samba service, squeezebox server etc.)

If I install this Buster image, does it mean all the original functionalities of the B3 are preserved but with more recent versions of relevant services? Or do I get only a basic linux server on which I have to install these services myself? And does it mean I get access to an extensive package repo with the latest versions of interesting packages?

Furthermore, I believe both USB-ports are toasted on my B3. They both output power, but any USB-drive plugged into them are not showing up in the Excito WebUI. In this case, what are my options in installing this image (external e-Sata HD, or swap the internal HD?)

Many thanks!
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

You mean, if you go to `http://b3/admin/disk` that you don't see a second disk when you have a thumb drive inserted?

That will make it pretty hard to install a new OS. As for pre-installed services, most of the projects published here will get you a vanilla system. The only project that offers (most of) the full bubba experience is `bubbagen` (which stands for bubba-ized gentoo linux and gentoo-ized bubba combined).
matse

Post by matse »

Yes, exactly. I had tiny USB memory stick plugged into the B3 for a while, and I guess this is what broke the ports. The same thing happend to my notebook. Probably those tiny USB memory sticks overheated in summer.

I noticed the option of upgrading to Buster without the use of a USB-stick.

Gentoo sounds interesting as it would be nice to keep the B3 Web UI. This option seems to require a working USB port though, or?
matse

Post by matse »

Or could the missing USB-drives be a configuration issue?
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Don't think so. It might not auto-mount the thumb drive, but it should be able to show it's partition(s) in the `disk` view.

It's actually not really required to install bubbagen from a USB stick, but it is the most straight forward method. In my developer environment I loop-mount the disk image file of whatever version I'm working on at that moment and simply overwrite the current running system. The main problem here is that your disk is currently not partitioned correctly, so you must have a second disk that you either attach to the eSata port of the B3 or prep on a secondary system.