New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Excito in bankruptcy

Announcements from Excito
Henri

Re: Excito in bankruptcy

Post by Henri »

Sorry to hear about Excito bankruptcy :( I hope all the best for the Excito people.

I am reporting in as a current user of Easyfind service and hope it will continue to operate in the future.

I don't expect the most active people of this community to pay it from their own pockets to keep Excito services running. So I am offering to pay up my share for the expenses. (It cost $25 for a year to have DynDNS service running. http://dyn.com/remote-access/ )

Another thing that concerns, are the future software updates of Bubba. I am not skillful enough to maintain my B3 against all current and future threats. Simple operations made with terminal can be handled, but the Kernel stuff and other things without ready made recipe turns out to be a tricky task.

I am throwing in a suggestion, if we could make some sort of fund or donation collection to finance expenses for running services and keep our Bubba's updated and running securily.

Maybe a poll could be arranged to see how many people are using for example Easyfind service and if people are willing to pay small amount of fee to keep services running and updates coming to keep our Bubba's running safely.
SpeedingGuy

Post by SpeedingGuy »

Very sad news, I really liked Excito! But the idea of a common fund for maintaining easyfind and other services sounds good to me. I really wished I could pitch in but my skills only goes as far as the guides on the wiki goes... :?
Really hope this still lives on like a thriving forum for a great miniserver!!! (I just updated mine with a 6TB RED drive, runs 4 degrees cooler now!)
johannes

Post by johannes »

I think this is good to know, but right now, when stuff is a bit urgent, money is not the issue, it's skilled IT people. Anyone with a pair of good hands are welcome to pitch in! :)
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
tor

Post by tor »

Regarding Easyfind,

Not wanting to do any promises but more of wanting to hear what people think. I was toying with the idea that there could be some synergies for integrating Easyfind into our, OpenProducts, dyndns that we provide. We have the infrastructure in place that is similar. (Go figure :) )

The big problem with this is that we currently are bogged down with work, thus we have very little time implementing this. But is it correct that Ubi or the community got the databases with shipped B2/B3s? That contain the vital information on keys etc?

Any thoughts or comments?

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer
johannes

Post by johannes »

tor wrote: Any thoughts or comments?
Just that it feels good to see you in the forum again! :)
(Apologies for the non-constructive post)
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

Yes I have everything.
Puma

Post by Puma »

Sorry to hear the bankruptcy of Excito. :cry:
I really love the Bubbas (B2 at my fathers place, B3 father in law, B3 brother in law, and myself 3 bubbas and 2 S1 storage...)

Its great to hear from Tor again and his idea to use easyfind in the future.

The community has been really helpfull in the past and hopefully in the future.

For updates etc. it might be an idea to fund it for example EUR 5,- to EUR 10, a year..... only updates with login account....

Puma.
Linux is like a wigwam - no windows, no gates, apache inside!
Banan

Post by Banan »

I'm very sad for the Excito in bankruptcy.
I have six B3 and one AndoridTV, I was thinking to get some more ..
Please post any news in th enear future.
Banan

Post by Banan »

Puma wrote:Sorry to hear the bankruptcy of Excito. :cry:
I really love the Bubbas (B2 at my fathers place, B3 father in law, B3 brother in law, and myself 3 bubbas and 2 S1 storage...)

Its great to hear from Tor again and his idea to use easyfind in the future.

The community has been really helpfull in the past and hopefully in the future.

For updates etc. it might be an idea to fund it for example EUR 5,- to EUR 10, a year..... only updates with login account....

Puma.
I also think that a small yearly funding can possible be a solution...
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

Well... Unfortunately I'm a hardware guy... I could probably reverse engineer the B3 from the ground up if I needed, but I frequently get stumped implementing things written in the Wiki... :oops:

So, my time and efforts will likely not be beneficial to the rest... I have use the easyfind system, but not currently...

However, wouldn't it be a smart plan to as a first step try migrating to openproducts hardware, which is apparently already in place the same way, and should likely result in the least amount of work to get it running by re-configuring?

Then as a second step, once the existing infrastructure is safe and working, we could work towards either adding support for other dynamic DNS services, or a "lite" version of the easyfind, like UBI proposed, which should cost minimal amounts too keep alive near indefinetly...

Just creative thinking, feel free to point out my mistakes...
Pressurized

Post by Pressurized »

I've been using bubba servers for just over seven years now and all three generations are still in service in my loft. They've been utterly reliable and a joy to use and practise my Linux skills on. I am extremely disappointed to learn of Excito's problems and I wish all their staff well.

Others have asked about buying the remaining stocks of b3s and I'm interested too but not in huge quantities. If it becomes possible, I hope I find out about it.

In the meantime, my thoughts go out to the Excito employees and I hope you prosper.

Best regards

Adrian Bolam
enrique75

Post by enrique75 »

Dear Johannes

I would like to support you and also all other developers, supporters, communities etc. working on the future of B3! Is there any chance to support all this? How about if you collect some money via PayPal? Or have anyone any better idea?

Please help us to keep B3 alive!!

Best regards
Erich
alexis92

Post by alexis92 »

This was back in 2014, what's the current situation looking like?
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

alexis92 wrote: 22 May 2022, 11:50 This was back in 2014, what's the current situation looking like?
Hardware building rights were passed to Rodeus. As far as I'm aware no successor is planned. Official software maintenance seized but this should not be an issue if the unit is not exposed directly to the internet. Alternatives for the software have been offered by community with currently two contributors remaining, myself and MoueTTe. Check development for details.