New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Debian sid (unstable) image 20200402 released for Bubba|2

Discuss development on Bubba
MouettE
Site admin

Debian sid (unstable) image 20200402 released for Bubba|2

Post by MouettE »

Hello everyone,

Following question by shadowbox, I've just finished building and released the debian sid image for the good old Bubba|2. As for the other debian images, this image is constructed from 3 different projects : a sid OS image itself, an install/rescue system and an installer script. More details on these further in this post.

Upgrade from the old jessie image may be possible but I didn't try it and unless you're very confortable with Debian you should not try it. Nevertheless if anybody needs it I can provide a quick howto.

First the link and a quick howto for install:
Quick install howto

This works the same way as the B3 busterimage:
  • Unzip the downloaded file on a fat-formatted usb key with a partition table
  • By default the installer will wipe the entire disk. If you wish to keep the existing data of your device, edit the install.ini file inside the install directory and set wipe to false at the bottom of the file. The installer will then only format the first partition of the drive.
  • plug the usb key on the Bubba|2 and apply power while pushing the rear button. U-Boot on the Bubba|2 has trouble reading from usb, you may need totry several times.
  • The rescue/install system will start, format the drive, extract the sid image and reboot the server.
  • By default the network is configured for dhcp on both network interfaces. It can be changed in the install.ini file (the installer will now copy the network settings from install.ini to the sid system by default. This can be changed in the install.ini file).
  • If the LED keeps blinking, something went wrong. Turn off the server and post the install.log file which is created in the install directory of the key so I can help you out.
  • When the LED is solid blue, the image is installed and successfully booted. On the first boot, the system generates its ssh keys which takes several minutes. You can then ssh into the box with user 'excito' (no quotes) and password 'excito' (no quotes). Then you can 'su' ; the root password is 'excito' (no quotes).
  • Once you're logged in I strongly recommend to set the locale and timezone of your server (its defaults are POSIX and UTC). Run the following commands :

Code: Select all

dpkg-reconfigure locales
    dpkg-reconfigure tzdata

OS image contents

The sid OS is a very minimal debian install with only the core packages needed to start and ssh into the server. The image was bootstraped directly from standard debian utils (not built from upgrade of a previous version). There is a github repository which describes all the steps taken to build it.
  • The kernel used is Linux LTS 5.4.x series with Excito patches. Sources are available on github
  • Excito-specific packages (kernel, button and led management) are available in a repository I maintain on the Excito servers. The image is pre-configured to use it so further upgrades can be installed with apt tools. Everything is on github too.
  • U-Boot tools are installed and configured so you can play with u-boot if you dare. WARNING this is risky business, use it at your own risk.
  • The root password is 'excito' (without quotes) and I've also created an excito user with the same password. Note that by default in debian you can not ssh directly as root with a password.
  • SSH host keys are generated on the first boot and it takes a few minutes.
  • The default network configuration is DHCP for both interfaces. It may be overridden by the install.ini configuration.
The install/rescue system

Full sources and rudimentary compilation instructions are available on github.

The installer script

I've re-added Bubba|2 support in the installer script, you can find it on github. Everything works the same way and is still configured through the install.ini file on the USB install key. It's heavily commented so all the options can be understood and changed accordingly.

Conclusion

As always ask as many questions as you want I will be more than happy to answer them.

Charles
beatgr

Re: Debian sid (unstable) image 20200402 released for Bubba|2

Post by beatgr »

IF you do not have a SATA drive (up to 2 TB) installed in your Bubba Two,
THEN the install.log will show this error.

2020-04-03 01:53:25.732 - INFO - Running Excito installer version 2.1 daemon process with pid 152
2020-04-03 01:53:25.738 - INFO - Checking image file /mnt/usb/install/sid/bubbatwo-sid-20200402-1935.txz
2020-04-03 01:53:25.759 - ERROR - No SATA disk found !

===
The UBS Flash Drive does make a DHCP request to your network's DHCP server for an IP address,
during the installation script

gb
MouettE
Site admin

Post by MouettE »

beatgr wrote: 03 Apr 2020, 13:43 IF you do not have a SATA drive (up to 2 TB) installed in your Bubba Two,
THEN the install.log will show this error.
The image and the installation script are designed to work with a SATA disk.
nolla

Post by nolla »

Just installed it - seems to work ok! 8)
nerke

Post by nerke »

Hi!
Long time no see! :) I been running my trusty B2 for years now without bother to update. :/
Awhile ago i decided to do a retake on my network enviroment at home decided to set up a plexserver, sonarr, radarr and owncloud. Thoose i put on a server with a "bit" better specs then the B2, but i was not ready to ditch it.
So i decided remake it to a seedbox for radarr and sonarr so that i can "vpn it"...

To my problem.
I did a (couple) clean install with this image, and the first time all when well, but now the fiftyeleventh time, i cant get su to work. I su to root fine but now there are a lot of command that just dont work.

For example "man cp" throws "-bash: man: command not found" both as user "excito" and as "root".

Please help me... :)

See link for log.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8xe2xaag6sefd ... l.log?dl=0
MouettE
Site admin

Post by MouettE »

It is possible that the b2 sid image suffers from the same bug as the first version of the buster image. Let me investigate further. I will probably build a new version of the image with the current sid tree.
nerke

Post by nerke »

aha, that would be great!

There was some kind of problem with the repos aswell.

I think that there were a key-error for the http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports sid InRelease
nerke

Post by nerke »

Is there any update on the B2 image? :)
i tried to get a grip on how to make my own image but failed miserable.... :)
MouettE
Site admin

Post by MouettE »

I don't really have time these days. In April I should have a lighter schedule.
nerke

Post by nerke »

Cheers mate!
alexis92

Post by alexis92 »

Any updates on this?
ahoff

Post by ahoff »

nerke wrote: 07 Feb 2022, 03:09 I can't get su to work. I su to root fine but now there are a lot of command that just dont work.

Try "su -"
Åke Hoff
Örskogen
Sweden
nerke

Post by nerke »

ahoff wrote: 31 Aug 2022, 01:36
nerke wrote: 07 Feb 2022, 03:09 I can't get su to work. I su to root fine but now there are a lot of command that just dont work.

Try "su -"
Thanks! that did work. :) still some problems with updating and installing programs but i gonna start try fix the repos. :)