New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Need to share a folder to another Linux box

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
Jens

Need to share a folder to another Linux box

Post by Jens »

Hi.

I'm kindof new to Linux so forgive my perhaps stupid question.
I want to connect my Dreambox settop box to the Bubba, so my recordings can end up on the bubba. Before the bubba i had a working solution with an XP PC that had a shared folder that the Dreambox used for storage.
The protocol used was CIFS.
How du I share a folder in Linux? I have read somware that I can use CIFS / Samba for this , and that it is neccesary to edit a smb.conf to declare a share?
However I couldn't make the Bubba respond to telnet. I guess i have to use a terminal window to edit this file. What is the proper way to telnet to the bubba? I tried "telnet 192.168.1.254".....
The Dreambox also supports NFS. Is this a possible way?
Best Regards,
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

Hello Jens,

The bubba comes with Samba installed and configured. You should already have shared folders that you can access and mount from any Windows and Linux machine on your network. Just type \\bubba in windows file explorer and you should see it.

Bubba does not have a telnet daemon running by default, but you should be able to reach it via ssh. Download PuTTY (just google for it) and you should be able to connect to your Bubba. You must first enable "Shell login" in the web interface for the user you want to connect as.

NFS is much faster than SMB and yes, this is possible, but it will require some tinkering. If you are not comfortable with the linux command prompt you might want to leave this for later:

Edit /etc/apt/sources.list and uncomment the first 3 lines.
Then install NFS:

Code: Select all

apt-get update
apt-get install nfs-kernel-server
You will then have to edit the file /etc/exports to declare what is to be available as NFS resources on your network. This could easily be a security leak, so I suggest you read up on it before doing it.
As an example, here is my not very secure exports file, giving full Read/Write access to my Bubba file system to the computer called "desktop" on my network:

# /etc/exports: the access control list for filesystems which may be exported
#               to NFS clients.  See exports(5).
/var/samba/public       desktop(rw,root_squash,async)

To make it happen:

exportfs -a
All of the above has to be done as root.
Be careful. Make a backup first.
Don't forget to re-comment the first 3 lines in your /etc/apt/sources.list when you are done.

Have fun!
Jens

Post by Jens »

Brilliant, I will try this..
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

and to check for shares on another machine:

showmount -e 192.168.0,151