New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Bubba stops responding under load

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
MartinHageras

Bubba stops responding under load

Post by MartinHageras »

I've been ripping audio CD's from XP to the music directory on the Bubba. It works fine for a while (maybe 10 CD's) and then Bubba stops responding. The power button doesn't do anything so I have to pull the plug.

Most of the network goes down too, though it seems some traffic still comes through as I can keep watching Youtube (and the videos keep buffering). The DNS stops working though so I can't connect to anything new.

Could it be the Media tomb service? Since I'm ripping straight to MT's music directory maybe it goes nuts trying to update it all the time.
carl

Re: Bubba stops responding under load

Post by carl »

MartinHageras wrote:I've been ripping audio CD's from XP to the music directory on the Bubba. It works fine for a while (maybe 10 CD's) and then Bubba stops responding. The power button doesn't do anything so I have to pull the plug.

Most of the network goes down too, though it seems some traffic still comes through as I can keep watching Youtube (and the videos keep buffering). The DNS stops working though so I can't connect to anything new.

Could it be the Media tomb service? Since I'm ripping straight to MT's music directory maybe it goes nuts trying to update it all the time.
This sound like the memory initializing bug; where a fix for is available at http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?t=1364

/Carl
/Carl Fürstenberg, Excito Software Developer
http://www.excito.com
support@excito.com
MartinHageras

Post by MartinHageras »

Unfortunately I've already applied the fix.
( That is to say, I applied the fix several days ago. So my current problem is occuring even though my Bubba has an updated bootloader. )

Another problem I have is that FTP is very slow to connect. It takes maybe 20 seconds to connect to bubba's FTP-server. Don't know if it's related to my original problem.
mad

Post by mad »

I think I'm experiencing something similar. My sometimes stops responding under heavy load but it reboots after a while. I have successfully applied the bootloader patch and it made the problem much less common.

The lethal combination for me seems to be high disk i/o and loads of network activity (bittorrent). I could live with the unresponsiveness but the reboots are kind of uncool.
Puma

Post by Puma »

hello,

I applied the fix as well, and checked it.

But under heavy load (when i am taping with a xp station from bubba) bubba freezes it is still working but very slow. Internet is still working but very slow and the tape job freezes. The same happens when i am copy a alot of files with 50Gb or so to or from a xp station.

This is not a fileserver behaviour i wish to be....

Puma
MartinHageras

Post by MartinHageras »

I agree - I feel that I can't trust the Bubba to fill the file server role properly. Maybe it's not up to the task of being a router/firewall and a fileserver at once.
ola

Post by ola »

I have the same problem with rTorrent. Heavy load and then it reboots!
mad

Post by mad »

ola wrote:I have the same problem with rTorrent. Heavy load and then it reboots!
Interesting! I've been trying to push my Bubba to reboot, had loads of 20+ but it has just worked it out. However if I start a bunch of torrents (in rTorrent) it chokes and reboots pretty much instantly.

Seems to be rTorrent related... The question is how it manages to make the Bubba reboot. There is absolutely nothing to be found in the logs and since there is no terminal if there is a kernel panic it goes in the bitbucket.
Hape

Post by Hape »

Not using XP/Home are you?
mad

Post by mad »

Hape wrote:Not using XP/Home are you?
Me? No.
Jockewhbg

rTorrent

Post by Jockewhbg »

I have the same problem with rTorrent. High speed during download causes the Bubba to stop. It doesn´t reboot, it only stops so I need to pull the plug. I have applied the fix. By reducing the download speed to about 1500 kB/s I avoid the problem.

/Jocke
Hape

Post by Hape »

Maybe downloading a lot of 'hot' torrents (mostly tripleX.divx ) triggers a thermal-shutdown of the Bubba? ;-)
Hape

Post by Hape »

Mad

1)
mad wrote:......The question is how it manages to make the Bubba reboot. There is absolutely nothing to be found in the logs and since there is no terminal if there is a kernel panic it goes in the bitbucket.
Support my "Bubba Two Feature Requests" http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?t=1427

Having a serial console might be handy right?

2)

No, not you. You are not mad enough to use XP/home ;-)

Regards
Hape