New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Apple AirTunes vs. Logitech Squeezebox

How are you using your Bubba? Got ideas for a cool modification? Share!
scott-2

Apple AirTunes vs. Logitech Squeezebox

Post by scott-2 »

Any thoughts on how Apple AirTunes compares to the Squeezebox/SlimServer solution?

I'm planning to build out the interface between my bubba2 and my stereo. Right now I don't have any Apple products in the house so I'm totally agnostic about all this. All my music archive files are currently MP3 but I'm planning to re-rip in a lossless format once I have the system set up.
Minimizing cost is important but so is audio quality. I was researching the pro's/con's of the Apple AirTunes device when I learned about Squeezebox.

Apple AirTunes
  • Uses bubba2's built-in DAAP service
    Easy setup
    USD 100
    Analog mini output will degrade sound quality
    When I upgrade the stereo with a DAC I can use digital input instead
    No UI built-in, must buy another Apple product or use a web interface
Squeezebox Classic or Duet
  • Must install SlimServer software on bubba2 (is this really a perl app?)
    Not as easy setup, risky timesink
    Classic: USD 250
    Duet: USD 400
    Analog RCA output won't degrade sound as much
    When I upgrade the stereo with a DAC I can use digital input instead
    No UI built-in, but there is a remote control
What do you think, team?
MagnusJonsson

Duet

Post by MagnusJonsson »

I haven't used Apple's AirTunes, but I bought a Squeezebox Duet recently.

It sure is a very nice piece of equipment with a very nice display indeed and some nice hardware features such as WLAN, optical output etc.
That said however, there are a few annoying things with the remote when it comes to software. The current firmware has a tendency to forget what song it is currently playing in the playlist. A reboot sometimes helps, but not always.
The player keeps on playing so there is no interruption here. The Windows (web) GUI keeps track of the playlist without having the problems that the remote has.

The remote sometimes tend to be a bit slow, but that can be due to my network (WLAN / Windows) so it might not necessarily be a SB problem.

Unfortunately I'm still running the software on Windows but I have the MP3:s on my Bubba. I'm really looking forward to having the Slimserver running on my Bubba.

Apart from the (minor) problem with the remote I really like the system. The http://www.sonos.com Sonos system might be nicer, but it is far too expensive for me.
cmcevoy

Re: Apple AirTunes vs. Logitech Squeezebox

Post by cmcevoy »

scott-2 wrote:Any thoughts on how Apple AirTunes compares to the Squeezebox/SlimServer solution?
Apple AirTunes
    Probably uses open-source but locked down tighter than a submarine
    Probably doesn't recognize any non-proprietary formats (?open to correction here)
Squeezebox Classic or Duet
    Built on open-source with active development of extensions
    Plays .ogg and .flac natively
This doesn't matter much to everyone but was the clincher for me.
Charles.
scott-2

Post by scott-2 »

Is it possible to try out the SlimServer software without buying anything?

I would like to install SlimServer on bubba and a test client app on my Windows XP laptop.
cmcevoy

Post by cmcevoy »

There is a software player included with the server software, but any player that can play an mp3 stream can connect without a problem.