New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Squeezecenter Difficulty: Solved

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
petmaitwo

Squeezecenter Difficulty: Solved

Post by petmaitwo »

Managed to upgrade my system to 1.0.13 and was pleased to find that you could install v1.4.2 Squeezecenter which installed easily. I enabled streaming in the Services section and it seemed to work well. It found my music collection and I was pleased. However on playing my music via my squeezebox3 I was somewhat surprised to find that every track stops playing after about 3 minutes. I have tried to ascertain if there was a fault in the Squeezecenter or my Squeezebox and cannot locate anything. This happens whether I connect my music through ethernet or wifi.
Would there be any reason why the Bubba2 would stop streaming music after 3 mins? Not at all sure how to proceed.

Would be grateful for any ideas

Thanks
Last edited by petmaitwo on 02 Jan 2009, 15:44, edited 1 time in total.
roelof

Re: Squeezecenter Difficulty

Post by roelof »

petmaitwo wrote:However on playing my music via my squeezebox3 I was somewhat surprised to find that every track stops playing after about 3 minutes. I have tried to ascertain if there was a fault in the Squeezecenter or my Squeezebox and cannot locate anything. This happens whether I connect my music through ethernet or wifi.
Did you look at the silicon bug and how to get rid of it? It requires a bootloader upgrade, which is not part of the normal distribution updates. See http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?t=1364

I did the upgrade. If you're very careful selecting your USB stick and you're used to creating files in folders, it's no big deal (but do it slowly and carefully, the risks are high, as described in the above link).
petmaitwo

Post by petmaitwo »

Thanks for your reply. I've upgraded my system and the fault still persists. However using the softsqueeze software elsewhere on my network, there is no problem. I've come to the conclusion that the fault is with the Squeezebox rather than the Bubba2 server. I'm looking into that now with help from the Logitec forums. Making slow progress.
Hape

Post by Hape »

Very strange indeed. I have just written a reply in the 'Announcement: New release for BubbaTwo: 1.0.13' stating that everything worked out just like it should.

-Bubba2 (as described in reply)
-SqueezeBox

Connected on same LAN (192.168.0.x)

Just changed settings on the SqueezeBox to proper (Bubba's) IP and things worked.

FYI: I use :
Model: Squeezebox v3 with Firmware: 113

If yr firmware differs from 113, that might give a clue towards Sq.box

If you need more detailed info on local setup here, just drop a line.

rgds

Hape

P.S. Happy new Year!!
petmaitwo

Post by petmaitwo »

Hi Hape. Thanks for your reply. I am convinced that the problem is a Squeezebox player difficulty. I have the same setup here, version 3 firmware 113. Playback from Squeezecenter stops after about 3.5 - 4 minutes. I use ogg vorbis. If I install Softsqueeze on my laptop there is no playback problem at all and everything functions normally. I'm going to see if the same problem occurs if I playback a longish mp3 format file.

Side Issue:
Just contacted Logitech UK help centre. Described my problem in detail. Operator spoke at length to her supervisor and after five mins or so, asked me if I was using a NAS server which did not use Windows. When I answered "yes", all support help stopped. It appears that I can expect no help from Logitech. Similarly, Logitech can expect no purchases from me! (I have used linux for long enough to expect this. Still irritating though!)
petmaitwo

Post by petmaitwo »

Update.
This is a problem with ogg vorbis only. If I play mp3 files there is no difficulty at all. I find this slightly irritating. Why should my Squeezebox restrict the playing length of an ogg vorbis file? I suppose that I could fiddle around for ever in order to get it working or I could convert all my ogg vorbis files to mp3 format. Could I convert a whole database

Update2.
Once I realised it was a format playback problem it was easy to alter the settings in the Squeezecenter setup. I can now play ogg to my heart's content. Nothing to do with the Bubba2 at all. In fact, the bubba2 is performing really well. Thanks to everyone who tried to help.
Hape

Post by Hape »

Great!

Thanks for feedback, might 'warn' others when contacting LT.

Strange LT UK is so opposed to *nix, continental LT DOES support Linux (and very well actually sofar).

Next time we'll set up a voip connection and I'll put you thrg to LT here ;-)

Regards

Hape