New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

freeze/hang issue

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
tiddler

freeze/hang issue

Post by tiddler »

Are there any updates on the freeze/hang issue people are having with their bubbas?

This issue happens more frequently (for me) after the 1.1.4 software update.

People have to remove the power cord to reset their server.

Do you know when this will be fixed?

I can't reliably use my bubba in its current condition.
dan13l

Post by dan13l »

I'd also like some feedback on this. So far the following users have reported problems with 1.1.4:

myself
essence
Daniel.T
tiddler
rdaneel

It really is quite awkward using Bubba for anything intensive at the moment.
tor

Post by tor »

Hi tiddler, dan131 and others,

Let me start by apologizing everybody who have problems with the 1.1.4 upgrade. Its our fault that this slipped through testing and we are working hard to find a solution to the Bubba hanging problem.

To speed things up it would be helpful if to get some info on the environment where this happens.

It seems like the hang is most likely to occur when doing large samba transfers with a Windows client PC. If anyone that experience the problem during other circumstances we would like to hear about it.

How is Bubba connected to the local network? 1000Mb/S or 100Mb/S. It seems like the problem is more likely to occur when Bubba is on a 100Mb/S network.

Does it make any difference if AFP is enabled? Does anyone experience crashes when AFP is checked in web admin under services. And if so, does turning it off making any difference?

And some status on this. Our prime suspect is the kernel package. Almost no other component can hang the system completely requiring a power cycle to recover. The big problem we are experiencing is that it takes us very long to provoke this and thus bug hunting takes a lot longer than what we would like :(

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer
Tompa

Post by Tompa »

Hi tor,

Thanks for the info on this issue.

Maybe you could release an update that reverts to the old state before 1.1.4, including the old kernel, while you search for the cause?

I think it would be better to have less features for a period of time than a server that hangs on me.

/Tompa
winzhangout

Post by winzhangout »

Tompa wrote:Hi tor,

Thanks for the info on this issue.

Maybe you could release an update that reverts to the old state before 1.1.4, including the old kernel, while you search for the cause?

I think it would be better to have less features for a period of time than a server that hangs on me.

/Tompa
Agree on this, i use my bubba daily to copy files and it hangs several times every day, if i try to copy 25photos 10mb each it hangs so takes lot of times to pull out the power cable all the time, and copy lesser pictures in 1 time.

Regards
Gunnarsson

Post by Gunnarsson »

I also got this problem after I installed CIFS on my bubba. I thing mabye one of packages i downloaded with apt-get using other sources may have f*ucked up my sambaserver.
So after flashing the bubba to its original i got i working again. So this time I only used the NFS support and now its working great.
tor

Post by tor »

Hi again,

Anyone that experience degraded stability after upgrade to 1.1.4 can downgrade the kernel to the earlier version which seems revert the problem. This however requires shell access to bubba.

Short howto:

Log into a shell on Bubba. Become root by issue command su and give password excito when prompted.

Issue the commands:

wget http://update.excito.org/pool/main/b/bu ... owerpc.deb
wget http://update.excito.org/pool/main/b/bu ... owerpc.deb

then do

dpkg -i bubba-modules_2.6.26.5-1_powerpc.deb bubba-kernel_2.6.26.5-1_powerpc.deb

And if all goes ok, (It will comment on downgrading packages.) restart your Bubba and hopefully you will be back to the state before the 1.1.4 release.

Note however, that updating the software via the web admin ui will reinstall the latest kernel. Further more features added in the latest kernel upgrade will be unavailable, such as nfs kernel support.

/Tor
tor

Post by tor »

Gunnarsson,

Could you explain what you did when installing CIFS? This sounds strange.

/Tor
Gunnarsson

Post by Gunnarsson »

tor wrote:Gunnarsson,

Could you explain what you did when installing CIFS? This sounds strange.

/Tor
I did the steps in my guide. Did this almost the first day I got the bubba.
http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?t=1694

MVH
GG
tiddler

Post by tiddler »

tor wrote:Hi tiddler, dan131 and others,

Let me start by apologizing everybody who have problems with the 1.1.4 upgrade. Its our fault that this slipped through testing and we are working hard to find a solution to the Bubba hanging problem.

To speed things up it would be helpful if to get some info on the environment where this happens.

It seems like the hang is most likely to occur when doing large samba transfers with a Windows client PC. If anyone that experience the problem during other circumstances we would like to hear about it.

How is Bubba connected to the local network? 1000Mb/S or 100Mb/S. It seems like the problem is more likely to occur when Bubba is on a 100Mb/S network.

Does it make any difference if AFP is enabled? Does anyone experience crashes when AFP is checked in web admin under services. And if so, does turning it off making any difference?

And some status on this. Our prime suspect is the kernel package. Almost no other component can hang the system completely requiring a power cycle to recover. The big problem we are experiencing is that it takes us very long to provoke this and thus bug hunting takes a lot longer than what we would like :(

/Tor
Sorry for the late reply.

My bubba is connected via Ethernet 100Mb/S.
It happens with WinXP, Unbuntu and Mac clients (probably using SMB).
It also happens with my Mac when I tell it to use AFP.

I have now turned off AFP and will let you know if the hang still happens.

Any progress at your end?
tiddler

Post by tiddler »

With AFP off it still hangs.
tor

Post by tor »

Hi tiddler and others,

We are still working on this. The problem is that we still have problems reproducing this bug.

It could very well be that you are experiencing one of the problems this upgrade should fix. Does it only hang with AFP or do you experience the same problem when accessing Bubba via Samba?

If you feel adventurous you could try our latest testing kernel for this branch. And to be clear, this is development code, dont use this on a system that you depend on or that contains valuable information.

That said, its available, for the moment, at http://update.excito.net/testing/other/, download the bubba-kernel and corresponding bubba-modules package to your unit. Log in and become root. Install the package by issuing:

Code: Select all

dpkg -i bubba-modules-2.6.26.5-x... bubba-kernel-2.6.26.5-x...
Replace names with the name corresponding to your download.

Reboot your unit and test.

To restore the system to the original kernel from the 1.1 release see above.

/Tor
tiddler

Post by tiddler »

It happens with both AFP anf Samba.
bervan

Post by bervan »

I had problems using Samba so with 1.1.4 I switched to AFP and that seems to run fine (30 day uptime - a record). Using WinXP and Samba/cifs the Bubba became unresponsive and I had to pull the powercord.
My B2 is connected to the local network with 1000Mb/s.

Best regards,

Bert
tor

Post by tor »

Hi again,

After some more testing it seems like the above test kernel, 2.6.26.5-8, could solve a lot of the stability problems and is a hot candidate for a bugfix update.

But we still have to test this some more. So if anyone who still have the problem and could consider testing this kernel, we would really appreciate it. Don't hesitate to contact support@excito.com if you feel unsecure on doing the upgrade.

Regards,

/Tor