New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

B2 Crash after RAID installation

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
darione75

B2 Crash after RAID installation

Post by darione75 »

Hi,
i've bought an IOMEGA Prestige external HDD 500Gb and i've connected via eSATA to B2 for RAID function. The raid mirroring was created without problems.

The problems in list is:
1) when i connect the hdd to bubba2 (and b2 is OFF) he don't put in sync automatically the hdd. I see a screen as in imagine 1. When i select RAID, i see a screen as in image 2 that show that the hdd is "in sync" but is not real, because i don't see move the light of hdd. To start sync i've to push the button "recover raid", the system delete the hdd and restart to sync. Afther this i see the light of external hdd in movement, so i'm sure that raid is working.
2) When RAID work, the B2 become VERY HOT, the surface is about 50-60°C and the HDD eSATA do the same. After 1h approximately the B2 CRASH. Stop to work, don't respond to any command even the power button in the back, the only solution is to disconnect power, wait until B2 is cold, power on and "recover raid" again!

See below the part of the syslogs before crash:

Aug 17 17:08:01 bubba ftd: Tracker announce failed: tracker error
Aug 17 17:08:35 bubba fetchmail[2193]: awakened at Mon 17 Aug 2009 05:08:35 PM CEST
Aug 17 17:08:38 bubba fetchmail[2193]: sleeping at Mon 17 Aug 2009 05:08:38 PM CEST for 300 seconds
Aug 17 17:09:37 bubba /USR/SBIN/CRON[3915]: (root) CMD ( [ -x /usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime ] && [ -d /var/lib/php5 ] && find /var/lib/php5/ -type f -cmin +$(/usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime) -print0 | xargs -n 200 -r -0 rm)
Aug 17 17:10:38 bubba /USR/SBIN/CRON[3928]: (root) CMD (test -x /usr/bin/php && /usr/bin/php /usr/share/horde3/scripts/alarms.php)

HERE I'VE RESTART THE SYSTEM

Aug 17 18:02:49 bubba syslogd 1.4.1#18: restart.

Any ideas?
Attachments
2.png
2.png (42.55 KiB) Viewed 8779 times
1.png
1.png (43.03 KiB) Viewed 8779 times
carl

Re: B2 Crash after RAID installation

Post by carl »

Could it be that the system didn't manage to fully sync the RAID after creation before you shut down the bubba? In the upcomming release (around two weeks), that issue is resolved (the initial sync is removed).

/Carl
/Carl Fürstenberg, Excito Software Developer
http://www.excito.com
support@excito.com
darione75

Post by darione75 »

Sorry Carl, i've not undersatnd what you've write, please explain again..
carl

Post by carl »

darione75 wrote:Sorry Carl, i've not undersatnd what you've write, please explain again..
The normal behavior for the system is after creation of an array to do an initial total "resync", which won't affect the current running system in any way and takes around 4-5 hours for an 1TB disk. Though if the system is rebooted during this time, the external disk is marked as "dirty" and is thus not included into the array and the whole array goes into a "degraded" state.
The upgrade we will ship in a week or two will have this limitation removed.

/Carl
/Carl Fürstenberg, Excito Software Developer
http://www.excito.com
support@excito.com
darione75

Post by darione75 »

Thanks, but the problem that b2 crash could be generated from this bug? Have you read the logs that i've post? nothing strange?

Dario
darione75

Post by darione75 »

==UPDATE==
If i startup B2 with external HDD ESATA connect, i see the problem describe upper. If i shutdown and restart B2 without power off external hdd, the problem remain, so the systems don't start to sync even if i press the restore button, BUT if i reboot B2 with eSATA connect B2 start to sync automatically without restore!!
Why?
Henri

Post by Henri »

Here's a screen shot, what I got after having started resyncing RAID setup.
It takes hours as said by Carl in his earlier post and external eSATA (marked as "spare" in the picture) drive's activity led keeps blinking the whole time.