New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Squeezecenter, Samba and jbidwatcher

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
redw0001

Squeezecenter, Samba and jbidwatcher

Post by redw0001 »

I've put my recent install experience on the mybubba forum, which on the whole is very good. However, I have three questions I need help with. I've put them here together but could break out if people prefer:

1: Using Squeezecenter (as supplied) on my Bubba2 but it seems to consume quite alot of CPU. Until yesterday that was around 40% when idle and growing by about 20% with three players running random songs. One other user reported 3% for idle so I think I have some sort of problem. Last night I did a rescan of the whole music libary because I noted some of the track counts seemed wrong (total found 247). In addition we had a power failure overnight last night.Today I now can see all the expected tracks. This morning I can now see over 5000 tracks which I think is right and cpu has dropped to about 15%. Still seems high but alot better. Any suggestions where to check for improvements?

2: Can anybody give me guidance on best way to automatically mount some samba shares (/storage/pictures) to Linux desktop please.

3: I would like to run jbidwatcher on my Bubba2 so it is 'always on' and I access it from web browser on my desktop.
How do I get a list of packages installed on the Bubba to see if I have what I need (JRE)?
The Bubba2 is a PowerPC chip, if I get a Linux binary does it need to be specifically for PPC? (I fear so)

Any comments appreciated, thank you, robin
asparak

Re: Squeezecenter, Samba and jbidwatcher

Post by asparak »

redw0001 wrote:I've put my recent install experience on the mybubba forum, which on the whole is very good. However, I have three questions I need help with. I've put them here together but could break out if people prefer:

1: Using Squeezecenter (as supplied) on my Bubba2 but it seems to consume quite alot of CPU. Until yesterday that was around 40% when idle and growing by about 20% with three players running random songs. One other user reported 3% for idle so I think I have some sort of problem. Last night I did a rescan of the whole music libary because I noted some of the track counts seemed wrong (total found 247). In addition we had a power failure overnight last night.Today I now can see all the expected tracks. This morning I can now see over 5000 tracks which I think is right and cpu has dropped to about 15%. Still seems high but alot better. Any suggestions where to check for improvements?
Can't help you with this, but high CPU usage is not unexpected, expecially if its indexing or similar.
redw0001 wrote: 2: Can anybody give me guidance on best way to automatically mount some samba shares (/storage/pictures) to Linux desktop please.
Simplest way is fstab, depending on what flavour of Linux you are using. Don't know your level of experience at editing configs, so here's a good example:
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/configure- ... -etcfstab/
redw0001 wrote:3: I would like to run jbidwatcher on my Bubba2 so it is 'always on' and I access it from web browser on my desktop.
How do I get a list of packages installed on the Bubba to see if I have what I need (JRE)?
The Bubba2 is a PowerPC chip, if I get a Linux binary does it need to be specifically for PPC? (I fear so)
You might have fun getting JRE to run as PPC is not supported by Sun Microsystems Java. Look for the IBM Java implementation. If you need packages, look for either PPC or ones that don't require X86 architecture (noarch or similar). Also, you can easily list what is installed on your box now using this example:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/linux/sh ... or-debian/

Asparak