New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

controlling my Bubba via a mobile phone

How are you using your Bubba? Got ideas for a cool modification? Share!
TheEagleCD

controlling my Bubba via a mobile phone

Post by TheEagleCD »

Now this might not really be all that useful... :wink:

Anyway, I discovered MidpSSH which is an SSH client for Java-enabled mobile phones. I promptly downloaded and installed it on my aging Siemens C75. After setting up the port-forwarding in the firewall of our router I was able to connect to my Bubba via xxxxxx.dyndns.org:9876

Can you guess what I did first?
/etc/init.d/led_blink
Well, if anyone comes up with anything really useful for what I could be using this for then please let me know.

Cheers,
Christoph
Bubba, I'm lovin' it
lelle

Post by lelle »

This sounds really cool! Gotta try it out when I've some time available
msx

Post by msx »

Cool stuff :P
It would be great to have also the opposite: having bubba notify events (logons, download completition, etc) on the mobile, for example via sms..
But i think it require some hardware :P
tor

Post by tor »

Hi msx and others,

Regarding the opposite, having bubba notifying you. That could be "quite simple". A bluetooth USB dongle and an old cell phone would do the trick. Or a cellphone whith a serial cable attached to a usb-serial adapter on Bubba. With some added software then of course ;)

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer
Filip

Post by Filip »

msx wrote:Cool stuff :P
It would be great to have also the opposite: having bubba notify events (logons, download completition, etc) on the mobile, for example via sms..
But i think it require some hardware :P
You shouldn't need any special hardware.
In sweden, for example, you can use mosms.se to send SMS-messages with HTTP-API.
Similair services probably exists in other countries.
lelle

Post by lelle »

Just tried it out on my brand new Sony Ericsson W880i. Works great, but you'll need a microscope to see what's displayed on the screen.
lelle

Post by lelle »

lelle wrote:Just tried it out on my brand new Sony Ericsson W880i. Works great, but you'll need a microscope to see what's displayed on the screen.
after fiddling a bit with the settings in the phone and in the ssh client, it's now readable :D
johannes

Post by johannes »

On the same topic; Don't forget the possibility to read your email on your phone. Many phones (W800i etc.) have IMAP email clients. I use my phone to attach directly to my Bubba, where all my email is (I collect email from many accounts to my Bubba). Just a note. ;)
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
Clive

Post by Clive »

tor wrote:Hi msx and others,

Regarding the opposite, having bubba notifying you. That could be "quite simple". A bluetooth USB dongle and an old cell phone would do the trick. Or a cellphone whith a serial cable attached to a usb-serial adapter on Bubba. With some added software then of course ;)

/Tor
Does Bubba support Bluetooth ? I noticed that it started some bluetooth services on boot-up. However when I plugged in my cheap Clas Ohlsson bluetooth dongle I lost all access to Bubba and had to reboot. Not sure why, there was nothing logged in the messages.

I have just discovered that my P990i supports the Bubba upload interface so I am able to upload directly from my phone into Bubba :D
tor

Post by tor »

Hi Clive,

We do include basic bluetooth support in the kernel we ship. This however isn't really tested, thats the reason for the "quite simple" above. So your crashing Bubba suggests that it might not be that simple. What brand is your BT-dongle?

Cool to hear that the upload works in your phone :)

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer
Clive

Post by Clive »

I am not too sure what brand it is. I will check tonight, however it is one of those cheap blue ones they sell in Clas Ohlsson. It took a little bit of playing to get it working together with my Suse 10 box so I wasn't really expecting plug-and-play with Bubba.

>>Edit - It's a "billionton" bluetooth dongle which reports itself as " Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode)"