New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

My ssh hack ;)

How are you using your Bubba? Got ideas for a cool modification? Share!
Rawhead

My ssh hack ;)

Post by Rawhead »

I did this so I can work with ssh in graphic mode.
use pytty go to rot and login with su then type this code

Code: Select all

nano /etc/ssh/sshd_config
and then edit this line

DenyUsers        root admin
to

DenyUsers        admin
and then change root password to a choisefree from your fantasy. :roll:

passwd root
please dont use a name of your dog or mom, you should use something like this gHoI7TrR5pL3Zv

I use http://winscp.net/eng/download.php to connect to my Bubba
bubbalibre

Re: My ssh hack ;)

Post by bubbalibre »

Hi Rawhead,
Rawhead wrote:please dont use a name of your dog or mom, you should use something like this gHoI7TrR5pL3Zv
You're damn right! Your hack can be handy, but it's also a security hole... Be cautious with that.

I understand that each security measure is a gate and it can be boring having to open it every time. One have to find the balance between a good security and a minimum of drawback.

Nevertheless I won't recommend it.

Regards,
tor

Post by tor »

Hi,

Not sure if i missed something here. But as long as you don't need to access files as root. There should be no need to enable root to log in via ssh. Any user with enabled "shell access" should be able to connect to it with ssh/winscp.

But if the intention is to access files as root, it is the right way to proceed. I must confess that this is the way i do most of my development work on the UI of Bubba. With ssh and bluefish. But that is on a unit with no access to the Internet at all.

A final note on this is. That this file will get overwritten when we upgrade the UI. So it has to be redone after an upgrade.

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer
dsp76

Post by dsp76 »

Hi,
wouldn't it be better to log on with standard user rights and switch to admin with su or issue commands with sudo?

dsp76
tor

Post by tor »

dsp76,

Doing as you say is the recomended way to do it. But sometimes you really want to be able to log in as root. And then the hack above is the way to do it.

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer