New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Lenny image and how to proceed

Want new functionality in Bubba? Discuss it here.
tor

Lenny image and how to proceed

Post by tor »

Hi all,

As all of you are aware of the Lenny image seems to have got stuck in beta. We will try getting the quirks fixed but we would really appreciate if you could help us test this out. (Still no promises on an ETA though :( )

I will try getting a wikipage up for this. But for now my understanding is that a system installed with the lenny-installer and then upgraded via the UI has the following known bugs:
  • Samba does not start due to config problems
    • Should be fixed with upgrades
  • Mediatomb does not start due to config problems
    • Problems with permissions on database - should be fixed with upgrade
  • Led does not blink during shutdown.
    • Should be fixed with upgrade (bubba-gpioapp 0.0.5)
  • mt-daapd stop advertisments due to interface not being in promisc mode.
    • Should be fixed with upgrade (bubba 1.0.4)
  • Bubba server announces itself as Bubba|TWO via avahi
    • Should be fixed with upgrade (mt-daapd 1:0.9~r1696.dfsg-4ex3)
  • mt-daapd tries to transcode music and fails
    • Should be fixed with upgrade (mt-daapd 1:0.9~r1696.dfsg-4ex3)
  • It's not possible to set network configuration.
    • Should be fixed with upgrade (bubba 1.0.5)
  • Fetchmail does not start due to default configuration
    • Should be fixed with upgrade (bubba 1.0.6)
  • Wrong version of host package disables Avahi announcements
    • Possibly not a bug
What else is not working with the Lenny image?

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer
Tim

Re: Lenny image and how to proceed

Post by Tim »

Hi Tor,

Thank you for actioning this. Hopefully we can all help to get it finished.

I still can't get mail to work. I can send from IlohaMail and from Mac Mail on a MacBook connected to Bubba. But nothing comes in to the Inbox - I have tried with 3 different mail accounts and created a couple of new user accounts on Bubba, but still no good.

I am a bit reluctant to scrub my "test" Bubba's disk as I have a lot of rsync backups of "production" bubba on it. I will try and put an empty disk in "test" within the next few days and try again.

--Tim
ctoo

Post by ctoo »

Hi Tor,

Some time ago, I made a post concerning problems related to multicast (see lenny: multicast not working?).

Could I ask you to check this post and see if you somehow can include the suggested fix?

I've also left some comments in the thread "lenny status" concerning issues that I had to resolve manually on my lenny image. Could I also ask you to consider these changes for inclusion?
ctoo

Post by ctoo »

Hi Tor,

Some time ago, I made a post concerning problems related to multicast (see lenny: multicast not working?).

Could I ask you to check this post and see if you somehow can include the suggested fix?

I've also left some comments in the thread "lenny status" concerning issues that I had to resolve manually on my lenny image. Could I also ask you to consider these changes for inclusion?
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

Currently for me everything works, maybe because I messed with it and forgot how. In the meantime I can tell that I'm a very experienced mail admin and willing to help sort out any problems with the mail system.

My strong suggestion would be that the Lenny group moves to a mailinglist to keep the flow going btw.

thanks
Ubi
Tim

Post by Tim »

Tim wrote:Hi Tor,

Thank you for actioning this. Hopefully we can all help to get it finished.

I still can't get mail to work. I can send from IlohaMail and from Mac Mail on a MacBook connected to Bubba. But nothing comes in to the Inbox - I have tried with 3 different mail accounts and created a couple of new user accounts on Bubba, but still no good.

I am a bit reluctant to scrub my "test" Bubba's disk as I have a lot of rsync backups of "production" bubba on it. I will try and put an empty disk in "test" within the next few days and try again.

--Tim
Mail is now all OK. Tor kindly sent me details of config files that needed attention. Probably my fault as have hacked quite a lot of stuff this machine, and had, as likely as not, left it in an 'intermediate' state. :oops:

Now I only need to get everything working with the "broken" iTunes 10 update. :cry:

--Tim
PeterTuson

Post by PeterTuson »

tor

I got mediatomb working, see:

http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?f ... =15#p10849

Regards,

Peter
peter
tor

Post by tor »

Hi again ctoo,

Regarding multicast and allmulti, i think that would be fixed when we fix the mt-daapd problem above. Its two symptoms of the same problem.

Regarding Mediatomb, i know what the problem is and will try to spin a new package shortly.

So atm i'm not aware of any bugs other than the one mentioned in the top post. Please let me know if you have any more.

Ubi, I'm not sure if a mailinglist is the best forum for now. Maybe if we put this in a Wikipage such as the one you edited yourself ;) . That way we can keep up2date info on status without needing to be subscribed to a maillist.

I do read this thread and i do update the status post at the top when anything changes.

But note, this work is going to take some time. I use the few spare moments i have for now and hopefully we can kick the last known bugs in the b1-lenny dist.

/Tor
ctoo

Post by ctoo »

Hi Tor,

Here's the list of issues that I've reported earlier:
1) backend.pl not up-to-date with the rest of the webadmin code (see http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1928#p9497)
2) B1 announces itself as B2 (see http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1928#p9498)
3) Yellow LED doesn't blink when shutting down B1 (see http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?f ... t=15#p9564)
4) B1 is using "host" package which is incompatible with avahi (see http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?f ... t=15#p9578 and http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?f ... t=15#p9617).
5) mt-daapd misconfigured (see http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?f ... t=15#p9587)
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

Hi Tor

Yes there are many great things about the wiki. But the mailinglist will keep your attention as it pushes new data. Now I have to check the entire wiki all of the time to see if anything is new. This results in decreased attention by the volunteers you need to get rid of this update (at least my guess is you want to get the b1-lenny out and close this support line so you can spend your time on the b3)

Ubi
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

The LED not blinking on shutdown sounds like an easy rc.d symlink installation in rc0 and rc6. The blink command works perfectly when called directly.
PeterTuson

Post by PeterTuson »

On my installation, I can connect to the DAAP share on bubba through RythmBox on my netbook, and it lists the music and plays fine.

I had to stop it transcoding ogg files.

The main 'problem' for me is that if I shutdown lenny it seems to try and re-install itself from the USB port, so it doesn't shutdown. I get around this by just turning it off and on at the power socket.

Peter,
peter
tor

Post by tor »

Hi Folks,

ctoo, i added the bugs you mentioned in the top post.

Ubi, we might add a maillist if that is what people want. The big drawback with that is that you lose the overall picture.

Another solution would be to use a bug tracker instead. That way we could get overview and still have the possibility to interact/discuss the matters.

PeterTuson, what do you mean with "it seems to try and re-install itself from the USB port"?

Beyond that i have uploaded a new mediatomb package. So if anyone would like to test that i would be glad.

/Tor
PeterTuson

Post by PeterTuson »

Tor,

When I first upgraded to lenny, I left the USB stick in the machine such that when I shutdown lenny was reinstalled all over again.

This happened a number of times until I realised and removed the USB stick. Then when I shutdown lenny it didn't shutdown; it just blinked indicating that it was shutting down. I left it for 24 hours just to make sure it wasn't going to shut down. I suspect that it is trying to reload lenny from a non-existant USB stick.

However, I actually prefer switching it on and off from the power socket.

Regards,

Peter.
peter
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

No, the Lenny image just does not shut down properly if the command is given from the CLI. The system is actually down and the drives are unmounted, so it is safe to pull the plug. I've submitted this bug ages ago, but it seems to be still present.