New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

B3 default mysql users

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
Asad

B3 default mysql users

Post by Asad »

+-----------+------------------+-------------------------------------------+
| host | user | password |
| localhost | root | |
| b3 | root | |
| 127.0.0.1 | root | |
| localhost | debian-sys-maint | * |
| localhost | horde | * |
| localhost | mediatomb | *|
| localhost | album | * |
| localhost | squeezecenter | *|

is it correct that here should be 3 root users with no passwords?
Ubi

Re: B3 default mysql users

Post by Ubi »

yeah, because mysql is a bit dorky on what it reads as a host name, and the host name has preference over the user name. I think they should have passwords though, or any process or idiot has full control over your mysql server....
kjellberg

Post by kjellberg »

Im not sure, but I thought you had to be super user and accessing through the local machine to get access to the mysql database? That would reduce the amount of processes and idiots that can get the controll... But as I said, not sure...
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

no, there's no magic. There is an account named root (with global access apparently) and no password. Everyone that is on the local machine (that includes any PHP script running on the web server) can access mysql as user root and have access at the level that mysql gives access to the user named root. However, if this mysql root user (which IS NOT the same as system root user!!) has no global access, it is nothing but an ordinary user with a highly confusing name...