New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Dropbox for Bubba ???

How are you using your Bubba Two or Excito B3? Got pictures? Share here!
Clive

Dropbox for Bubba ???

Post by Clive »

I have been using dropbox for syncing files easily between my phones, PC's windows and linux.

Does anyone know of anything similar which can be used with B3 ? I know there are plenty of SFTP mobile apps out there, but I quite like the convinience of Dropbox where the cloud files appear just as an additional folder on my PC and simple one click upload/download on my Android mobile....

Anyone have any tips ?
kjellberg

Re: Dropbox for Bubba ???

Post by kjellberg »

Well, "coming soon" have prooven to be a while, but I think this is the closest to the description when released:
http://www.sparkleshare.org/
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

Dropbox do have an arm and PowerPC build in the works buts it's been some time since they mentioned it.
linuxtrap

Post by linuxtrap »

Not Dropbox, but I have been running SparkleShare http://sparkleshare.org/ for some weeks now,
You can set up your own "dropbox" like server, no limitation in storage and you "own" all the date.
Its in beta, but it works and look promising.

Have fun
PT
Clive

Post by Clive »

Thanks for the pointer, Looks interesting, I will keep a watch on this.

I think it's something Excito should also be interested in, as everything is going cloud based and files being stored 'who knows where' by 'who knows whom' , then to be able to turn Bubba into a cloud based storage server could be a great selling point. I am interested in the idea of Chrome OS, but only if I can use my B3 for cloud storage and not rely on buying a subscription to a commercial service.....
johannes

Post by johannes »

I agree, this is not a bad idea. It's now on our horizon, we'll consider it. Thanks.
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
linuxtrap

Post by linuxtrap »

Hello again,
Just to clarify, The only part that is running on my B3-server is a GIT-server.
Then I use SparkleShare client software to sync my files with the help of the git-server.

But it would be nice if all this was integrated in the bubba interface.

PT
theWebalyst

Post by theWebalyst »

What about Tonido? They offer software that appears to be ready and covers most things I want from self hosted cloud storage. I searched excito forums and am very surprised there's not a single reference to "Tonido" - strange!?

Features: http://tonido.com/software_what.html
Linux installation: http://www.tonido.com/support/Tonido_Li ... lation_FAQ

If anyone has success with Tonido, SparkeShare for a self-hosted-cloud application please let us know.

I'm one of those who does not want his data on someone else's server. I think when some of the weaknesses of cloud storage hit the headlines it will create a market for self-hosted-cloud that excito could get ready to fill.

Main application areas are I think:
- Syncplicity style file synchronisation
- TimeMachine style versioned file backup
- DropBox style file sharing
- Google docs style cloud aplications

I've put these in order of priority for me, taking into account how feasible it might be to have B3 fill these needs. I guess the last one would be too onerous, but its worth considering as it would make B3 the killer app when cloud services lose their shine, which I predict they will as users begin to understand them better (due to security and political vulnerability issues). The gloss has already come of Amazon S3 (and to a lesser extent DropBox) recently. I think governments won't be able to resist exploiting these assets, so we'll have offshore clouds like banking! Its just messy. Far better for me to have my stuff on my own little NAS.

Mark
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

Haven't Pogoplug also made their software available to install on any machine?

[EDIT]Tonido appears to be for x86 only.

[EDIT2]Pogoplug too.
kjellberg

Post by kjellberg »

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonido it will work with:

"Supported Platforms

Tonido runs on x86, ARM and MIPS architectures and is available as binary packages for popular Linux distributions like Ubuntu, Fedora, and OpenSUSE as well as Mac OS X and Windows.[7]"

And it looks pretty usefull! :P
ryz

Post by ryz »

Well Tonido seems to be closed source with no other binary then x86 for Linux. The Arm stuff are most likely Android or some other phone Os so as long as you are not able to install Android on the B3 I think you are out of luck.
kjellberg

Post by kjellberg »

Well, the Sheevaplug is ARM-based anyway: http://www.tonido.com/support/Tonido_Em ... stallation
theWebalyst

Post by theWebalyst »

Anyone know if Wuala can be run on B3? No time to look into it just now.

http://www.wuala.com/

Please follow up on this new thread: Wuala on B3

Mark
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Anyone who runs any of the abovementioned?

My wife wants a simple way to sync files between her laptop and Galaxy Tab. I first thought I'd simply install Dropbox for her. But of course it'd be better if I could host it myself instead :D . So the only thing I really need is clients for Windows 7 (laptop) and Android and of course a server that is installable on my B3. Any reccommendations?

/Daniel
theWebalyst

Post by theWebalyst »

DanielM wrote:My wife wants a simple way to sync files between her laptop and Galaxy Tab. I first thought I'd simply install Dropbox for her. But of course it'd be better if I could host it myself instead :D . So the only thing I really need is clients for Windows 7 (laptop) and Android and of course a server that is installable on my B3. Any reccommendations?
Daniel,

Take a look at owncloud. It was easy to install on B3 and very capable, though I haven't had time to check it out fully and find out why some things don't work (music file listing) and how to get WebDav working with Windows (it works with a Java test client though).

It is opensoure and being actively developed. Very promising.

Mark