New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Magnetlinks on B3

Good ideas? Share with us!
Harry

Re: Magnetlinks on B3

Post by Harry »

@Johannes, Sorry about my "frustration", which by the way was a very well suitable word.
I can happily say that I have had Transmission up and running for two days now and it works like a charm.
Thank You for making such a "simple", but non the less great wiki.
I only had to fiddle with the "rpc-whitelist" (in addition to Your wiki) to get the web-access working, changing the "127.0.0.1" to "*" which was suitable in my case.

The iPhone Transmission app seems very interesting and could probably make things even easier.

Cheers, Harry
Wildboy

Post by Wildboy »

I finally got Transmission running. I'm a total beginner of "hacking" my B3.

Still one problem though. When I have something downloaded I can't move it when I'm logged in on my B3. The only options are "Download as zip" and "Copy files" everything else like "Move files" etc. are greyed. Any suggestions?
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Wildboy wrote:I finally got Transmission running. I'm a total beginner of "hacking" my B3.

Still one problem though. When I have something downloaded I can't move it when I'm logged in on my B3. The only options are "Download as zip" and "Copy files" everything else like "Move files" etc. are greyed. Any suggestions?
You're probably logged in as someone that hasn't got write permissions to the files. Thus you can read them and copy them but not move them (as that would delete them from the original location). I guess this depends a bit on where you've configured Transmission to put the files and who it runs as.

/Daniel
Wildboy

Post by Wildboy »

Thanks DanielM!

I think you're right about that. I can't change permission for B3 users to Read and Write. Only Owner has write permission. I only have my Admin user and one normal user. Doesn't matter if I'm logged in on either of them.

/Peter
Wildboy

Post by Wildboy »

Still haven't got this to work. I use the same user name for logging into my B3 as I use for Transmission ("rpc-username"), even the same password for both. My download folder for Transmission is set to /home/storage/transmission_downloads.

I guess this has to do with permission like Daniel wrote above.

Any suggestions?
Wildboy

Post by Wildboy »

Changed from
"umask": 18,
to
"umask": 0,

This helped a bit. Now I have all permissions on the files in the folder i downloaded but I don't have permission to move, remove etc. the folder the files came in.
flimflam

Post by flimflam »

Need help guys, have installed transmission tripple times and uninstalled and getting all the time same

Oct 16 15:27:06 b3 transmission-daemon[2216]: Saved "/var/lib/transmission-daemon/info/torrents/asdfgh.rar.c71645677c497d58.torrent" (bencode.c:1651)

I think it has something with permissions.

Any suggestion?

My settings:

{
"alt-speed-down": 300,
"alt-speed-enabled": false,
"alt-speed-time-begin": 540,
"alt-speed-time-day": 127,
"alt-speed-time-enabled": false,
"alt-speed-time-end": 1020,
"alt-speed-up": 50,
"bind-address-ipv4": "0.0.0.0",
"bind-address-ipv6": "::",
"blocklist-enabled": false,
"dht-enabled": true,
"download-dir": "/home/storage/transmission",
"download-limit": 100,
"download-limit-enabled": 0,
"encryption": 1,
"incomplete-dir": "/home/storage/.incomplete",
"incomplete-dir-enabled": true,
"lazy-bitfield-enabled": true,
"lpd-enabled": false,
"max-peers-global": 300,
"message-level": 2,
"open-file-limit": 32,
"peer-limit-global": 300,
"peer-limit-per-torrent": 60,
"peer-port": 54477,
"peer-port-random-high": 65535,
"peer-port-random-low": 49152,
"peer-port-random-on-start": true,
"peer-socket-tos": 0,
"pex-enabled": true,
"port-forwarding-enabled": false,
"preallocation": 1,
"proxy": "",
"proxy-auth-enabled": false,
"proxy-auth-password": "",
"proxy-auth-username": "",
"proxy-enabled": false,
"proxy-port": 80,
"proxy-type": 0,
"ratio-limit": 1.0000,
"ratio-limit-enabled": true,
"rename-partial-files": true,
"rpc-authentication-required": true,
"rpc-bind-address": "0.0.0.0",
"rpc-enabled": true,
"rpc-password": "abcd",
"rpc-port": 9091,
"rpc-username": "xxxx",
"rpc-whitelist": "127.0.0.*,192.168.*.*",
"rpc-whitelist-enabled": true,
"script-torrent-done-enabled": false,
"script-torrent-done-filename": "",
"speed-limit-down": 100,
"speed-limit-down-enabled": false,
"speed-limit-up": 500,
"speed-limit-up-enabled": true,
"start-added-torrents": true,
"trash-original-torrent-files": true,
"upload-limit": 200,
"upload-limit-enabled": 1,
"upload-slots-per-torrent": 10
}
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

what gives

Code: Select all

ls -ld /home/storage/transmission
ls -ld /home/storage/.incomplete
grep USER /etc/init.d/transmission-daemon
groups $(egrep "^USER=" /etc/init.d/transmission-daemon | sed -e "s/.*=//g")
?
flimflam

Post by flimflam »

Something like this ...

root@b3:/home/flim# ls -ld /home/storage/transmission
root@b3:/home/flim# drwxrwsrwx 2 flim users 4096 Oct 16 16:43 /home/storage/transmission

root@b3:/home/flim# ls -ld /home/storage/.incomplete
drwxrwsrwx 2 flim users 4096 Oct 16 16:43 /home/storage/.incomplete

root@b3:/home/flim# grep USER /etc/init.d/transmission-daemon
USER=debian-transmission
        --chuid $USER \

root@b3:/home/flim# groups $(egrep "^USER=" /etc/init.d/transmission-daemon | sed -e "s/.*=//g")
debian-transmission : debian-transmission
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

that all looks fine. What makes you think there is a problem, and what makes you this it is a permission problem? The log you post is of a successful save, not really an error report at all
flimflam

Post by flimflam »

Thanx Ubi.

I googled a bit and " bencode.c:1651" sounds as ERROR message. And also some transmission reinstall advices have been written on web. During that time I had no connections....so was a bit unsure.

Present situation is that it works as before, but I am not sure if it is OK....BTW is there always some internal transmission log recorded on disc?

And what mean these lines:

And what is the sense of: "peer-port-random-on-start": true, when my box is mostly running 24/7??
Is it possible to write some script to transmission be restarted each 24 hrs, or just port be changed?
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

EDIT:
Complete re-write. Ubi is right, my post was meaningless.
Ignore it.

The answers to most or perhaps all of your questions are in the link provided by Ubi in the previous post.
BTW is there always some internal transmission log recorded on disc?
If you want to. You can set

"message-level": 0,
in your settings.json file if you do not want them.
I wanted mine, but in a separate log file.
On my installation (version 2.3.3 on Ubuntu) things are tweaked quite a bit. I added the following to the init.d script:

TRANSMISSION_ARGS="--logfile /var/log/transmission.log"
This would probably not work in the installation you have, but you can try putting it in the OPTIONS line in /etc/default/transmission-daemon.
And what mean these lines:

lazy-bitfield and encryption is all about trying to fool your ISP, disguising the fact that you are using torrents.

ldp is about trying to find others on the same network that might have the same file(s). Say you are on a school network - chances are there is some other student out there on the same LAN that has already downloaded that particular file.

umask is about what permissions the file will have when completed.
It is not in the standard octal format you would expect (check Ubi's link). 0 should mean no interference, and the most open/accessible option.
And what is the sense of: "peer-port-random-on-start": true, when my box is mostly running 24/7??
Yes indeed. I never understood the point of it either, even if you restart it every now and again. More ISP-foolery I guess.
Is it possible to write some script to transmission be restarted each 24 hrs, or just port be changed?
Of course.
As root create a file in /etc/cron.daily (the file name must not have a dot in it - call it something like transmission-restart)
Put something like this in it:

#!/bin/sh
/etc/init.d/transmission-daemon restart
Make it executable:

# chmod 755 ./transmission-restart

--- IGNORE ---
Hi,

I wouldn't set up my transmission directory under storage.
I've stopped using it on my local machine at all.

When I installed it locally on my B3 (apt-get install transmission-daemon), it created a user and a group for me without asking.
Neither matched the package name.
It was nice enough of it to install /etc/default/transmission-deamon, but without prompting me for default values, and also leaving it ENABLED by default!

I remember creating a home directory for the user, changing all the default directories - I definitively did NOT want it lurking around under /var/lib.
The logging in the default installation relies on the log_deamon_message function defined in /lib/lsb/init-functions.
This I changed too. (Look in /etc/init.d/transmission-daemon).

It has some nifty features, like the "watch" directory, where you can just dump a .torrent file, and it will start downloading it.
It has to be set up in the settings.json file (which is symlinked from /var/lib/transmission-daemon to /etc/transmission-daemon/settings.json).
The default file does not offer you examples or even hints that the functionality is there, you have to make sense of the cryptic man page.

To summarize:
I would NOT use the default installation on my B3 or B2. I have used it in the past, but I had to modify it quite a bit.
At one time I even set up my B2 to be my dedicated seedbox which connected to a cloaking VPN service before starting transmission up (there is a post about it somewhere here on the forum).
But the B2 CPU was just too slow for the VPN, and there was just much too hassle.

In the end I bought a service from one of those places that offer those things. A virtual machine with some old Ubuntu distro on it, plenty bandwidth and some 300 GiB storage.
Nifty functionality like the "watch" directory I have kept by using incron and rsync to automatically push any locally downloaded torrent files to the seedbox in Belgium, France, The Netherlands, or wherever it is (it seems to change every week).

Cheers,

/Cheeseboy
Last edited by Cheeseboy on 20 Oct 2013, 11:42, edited 3 times in total.
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

I dont really understand this rant. The "problems" you describe are typical for nearly all daemons and do not pose a security risk for this type of machine. Also, who cares if the created user is not exactly matching the package name. Its pretty obvious what the daemon does no? Oh yeah, MySQLd is lurking around by default in var/lib too. Just like NameD in many distros. Oh and apache.

I installed transmission with the default values and it has been working fine for over a year. Only thing I modified was the username and download folder, which is now straight under /storage where it works perfectly.
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

Hi Ubi,

Nice to read your friendly words again :-)

I'm a bit paranoid when it comes to things like that, as I only use it for things I could get dragged to court for...
The amount of fiddling I had to do with that piece of software, and the piss-poor documentation, and the attitude of the developers on their forum annoyed me - that's all.

Sorry for ranting.

Cheers,

/Cheeseboy

EDIT: When I started writing the post, the intention was only to clarify how the logging of the software worked.
I can remove it if you think it's irrelevant.