New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Squeezebox won't "clear library and rescan everything"

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
yrrekg

Squeezebox won't "clear library and rescan everything"

Post by yrrekg »

Hi,

I have just got my brand new B3 and updated to version 2.4.2. :D

I am in the process of correcting the tags of all my MP3's (long story) and loaded my first pass of my corrected ones to the music directory on the B3.

I can only get Squeezebox to scan the music from the button on the Media Folders line. This was fine the first time I loaded my music, but now when I do this it won't recognise the changes I have made to the artwork which I have now embedded in the MP3's after reading SQB doesn't always recognise the artwork in the directories.

When I use the scan button on the Rescan Media Library line it just shows "scanning - view progress". However when I go to the Information tab I get the "abort scan" for 10 seconds and then "Progress information from the previous scan is not available.".

The server log shows no sign of the scan deing started or aborted and the scanner log is empty.

I thought I would be clever and use a different music folder for my second pass and now have doubled my music when looking from my music players!

The only thing I can think of at the moment is to reinstall the B3.

However it takes 10 hours to copy my music so I'd rather not if I can help it. :?

I have even tried the "clear libray and rescan everything" from iPeng but still no joy.

The are a few comments about this for a ReadyNas and 7.7.1 and a similar problem but nothing conclusive.

I would be grateful for any help or advice (please note my Unix skills are not so good).

Thanks,

Kerry
ryz

Re: Squeezebox won't "clear library and rescan everything"

Post by ryz »

I have the same problem with "clear library and rescan everything" as you describe. It says it is scaning but it does nothing and there is nothing in the log at all. I have done some debugging but have not find anything useful. I have to little time to do some heavy debugging. After some googeling I did find that you could wipe the library your self but to do this you have to ssh into bubba and become root. You can find how to do that in the Excito wiki.

When you are root the you should run the following command.

Code: Select all

/etc/init.d/logitechmediaserver stop
cd /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/
rm -rf   cache/
/etc/init.d/logitechmediaserver start
The first line make sure that the server is stopped. The second line removes the servers cache where the library an artwork resides. This will be rebuilt (or it should have been) the next time the server start.
The last line start the server again. This might take some time. When the server is started you should run an scan for "new and changed media files" since it does not (at least it did not for me) do this correctly at start up. After this I had a new and fresh library with all my music.
yrrekg

Post by yrrekg »

Thank you very much.

Scan is now working :D

As an experiment installed 2.4.2 on my B2 and loaded my music and got the same problem with the scan button.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

If you want to force rescanning a particular folder, it is sufficient to move it outside the music tree and press the scan button. This will wipe the corresponding entries in Squeezebox, after which you can move the files back in and rescan to have them processed as new files.
yrrekg

Post by yrrekg »

Tried both methods, unfortunately I have still got a database with roughly double the number of Mp3's I started with, I have deleted some in my tidy up so not quite double.

The "clear library and rescan everything" still does not work.

Think I will have to bite the bullet and re-install the B3.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help.
yrrekg

Post by yrrekg »

Thanks again.

I am not sure exactly what order I did things in, but now have my library without duplicates :D

Now I can go and listen to it.