New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Services as Addons

Good ideas? Share with us!
MaverikCH

Services as Addons

Post by MaverikCH »

I got in mind that you could provide Services as Addons. You would deliver Bubba as an Core Periphery wihtout much features and people would be able to download and install them through web. also 3rd party services could be developed and downloadable. yes, there would be a Quality Check before publishing them though.
nobody

Re: Services as Addons

Post by nobody »

you mean an 'app store' right? But then something that installs apps as a regular user, not as root or admin, as being able to install '3rd party apps' via a website pretty much circumvents every security measure the system has :).
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

I'm not really sure Linux has a need for an "app store". Repositories anyone?
nobody

Post by nobody »

I think the point is that it should be able to implement via web gui. So basically the request is for a web front-end for apt. I know rpm can install in a userland location, I guess apt can do the same. All the is required then is the frontend PHP page, and someone to create and maintain the DB of 'bubba apps' (bapps?) for no extra income :)
nobody

Post by nobody »

But first: can the submitter name 5 'apps' that would be usefull?
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

nobody wrote:I think the point is that it should be able to implement via web gui. So basically the request is for a web front-end for apt. I know rpm can install in a userland location, I guess apt can do the same. All the is required then is the frontend PHP page, and someone to create and maintain the DB of 'bubba apps' (bapps?) for no extra income :)
I'm pretty sure the Bubba has a hidden Web GUI for installing packages from repos already.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

RandomUsername wrote:I'm pretty sure the Bubba has a hidden Web GUI for installing packages from repos already.
Obviously that is true - you can upgrade the Bubba software through the web interface.
nobody wrote:But first: can the submitter name 5 'apps' that would be usefull?
Browsing the wiki it's fairly easy to find a multiple of those five. This would apply at least for every addon that requires a kernel module to be build, but you could also think of specialized web GUI plugins to control/configure regular Debian packages.
6feet5

Post by 6feet5 »

Gordon wrote:
RandomUsername wrote:I'm pretty sure the Bubba has a hidden Web GUI for installing packages from repos already.
Obviously that is true - you can upgrade the Bubba software through the web interface.
I think what he meant was this.

/Johan
nobody

Post by nobody »

soooo.... is that run under root privileges?
If so, how is this not a remote execution shell?
MaverikCH

Post by MaverikCH »

nobody wrote:But first: can the submitter name 5 'apps' that would be usefull?
no, he can't. it's just an idea / suggestion and the discussion on it is interesting and refreshing :)
Gordon wrote:Browsing the wiki it's fairly easy to find a multiple of those five. This would apply at least for every addon that requires a kernel module to be build, but you could also think of specialized web GUI plugins to control/configure regular Debian packages.
true.
nobody

Post by nobody »

I'm not asking this to piss people off. I'm really interested in an actual list and not a suggestion that such a list is easily compiled (if it is that easy, why not post that list instead!). By posting a list of more than 3 items it shows there is actually a benefit to this and that makes it more serious. If nobody can come up with some real examples then apparently this idea has no real-life application and should be dismissed.