New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Using B2/B3 as router with Sky Fibre FTTC broadband.

A collection of tips on howto tweak your Bubba.
RandomUsername

Using B2/B3 as router with Sky Fibre FTTC broadband.

Post by RandomUsername »

This is specifically relevant to Sky Fibre Broadband but as that is just BT Infinity sold wholesale, it might be of use to other FTTC customers.

FTTC connections require two boxes - a VDSL modem and a WAP/switch/router much like the early days of ADSL before ISPs started supplying all-in-one boxes.

Although the Sky supplied router allows you to set a DMZ up so you can continue to use the B2/B3 as your main network router, the issue with this is that it requires three boxes to be continuously powered on due to Sky using a DHCP authentication method called MAC Encapsulation Routing (MER). Most DHCP clients don't use it but the one in Sky's own router does. It seemed crazy to me that I would need this box switched on 24/7 just to get an IP address for my connection. I'd read that Open WRT supports MER and can act as a replacement for the Sky router so it should be possible to get the Bubba to do the same, and off to the interwebs I went...

The solution is surprisingly simple after thinking I was maybe going to have to build my own DHCP client from source.

First you need to get the default wi-fi key and the MAC address from Sky's router - both are printed on a sticker on the unit and are also available on the router's web interface.

Go to this site and input this information, selecting Sagem F@ST as the router model and It will give you the PPP username and password.

On the Bubba, as root, edit the file /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf and add the following after the line that says "send host-name "<hostname>;":

Code: Select all

send dhcp-client-identifier "<username>|<password>";
E.g.:

Code: Select all

send dhcp-client-identifier "8c4ca622fra4@skydsl|QZTt6H8ia8OKfJ9";
Connect the WAN port on the Bubba straight into the modem and run "dhclient", your server should now successfully negotiate a WAN IP address and you can carry on about your business. Running "dhclient -v" will give verbose output and should help with any troubleshooting.

/fin
RandomUsername

Re: Using B2/B3 as router with Sky Fibre FTTC broadband.

Post by RandomUsername »

What? Are you on dial-up? Is this genuine or a spam bot?
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

spambot . They take a random quote and uid from a forum and copy it to another forum. This makes both the username and the phrasing look genuine. Unfortunately in this case, the content does not....

https://www.google.nl/search?q=%22i+wan ... oadband%22
Binkem

Post by Binkem »

Spam removed from forum and user banned :)
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Sorry. I might have been the one approving it. There are really loads of spam coming into this forum (though ordinary users never see it), I don't always read into the posts all that deep. Bastards!

/Daniel
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

Well the post doesnt look all that strange if you cant see the complete thread. To be honest I havent seen ny real spam on this forum for years, and these very few probes that make it through the initial screening get marked and removed within hours. All in all Id say the mods here deserve a big compliment!
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

Ubi wrote:Well the post doesnt look all that strange if you cant see the complete thread. To be honest I havent seen ny real spam on this forum for years, and these very few probes that make it through the initial screening get marked and removed within hours. All in all Id say the mods here deserve a big compliment!
+1