New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

What can I actually do with a V1?

Discussion about Excito V1 - a.k.a. Tele2 TV Player
Cryten

What can I actually do with a V1?

Post by Cryten »

Hi,

I'm curious about the V1, but at the time of writing I'm a bit uncertain about how useful it is for me. Is it only useful if I'm a paying Tele2 customer, or can it be used stand alone aswell?

How open is it? Can someone make an XBMC build for this HW, or is it locked down?

I'm a happy B3 owner, and the V1 only cost 500 SEK, so I just need a slight push to go out and buy one :)
johannes

Re: What can I actually do with a V1?

Post by johannes »

Actually, for now you can only buy the V1 if you are a paying Tele2 customer. For now it is locked down to some nice Tele2 content (TV, Video on Demand), youtube, SVT Play and of course content stored on B3 or on your phone, and no, it is not open so you cannot install anything on it.
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

So it's just a question of someone going through the work of breaking the bootloader and making a custom ROM for it then, right :wink:

I'd buy it right now if I knew I could install CyanogenMOD on it. But... Oh, I can't buy it, since I'm not a Tele2 customer...

:wink:

/Daniel
Cryten

Post by Cryten »

I was really excited when I first read about the V1, but something that's locked down and completely out of my control isn't what I had in mind. Not saying that it's a bad product or that I'll never buy it, but if it had been a more open platform, it would have been such an obvious choice for me.

Is the V1 heavily subsidised by Tele2 to give it a competitive price? That is, would it have been crazy expensive without that lockdown? Guess that question is too sensitive...

So, can someone say why I should buy it? I already have a (rooted) AppleTV with NetFlix and XBMC, so I'm a bit uncertain why I need this (but for some reason I feel I do :)).
NoSubstitute

Post by NoSubstitute »

Yes, it's a shame that the v1 is so locked down.

The hardware has, or perhaps I should say "had, the chance of being a serious competitor to, what seems to be the original device or at least more developed product, called Minix.

I just don't really want to buy new hardware, when I have it right here! :-(