New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

[Cancelled] OpenProducts to take over Excito B3 product line

Announcements from Excito
Gordon

Re: OpenProducts to take over Excito B3 product line

Post by Gordon »

86ivar wrote:
NisseJ wrote:Or maybe they have a lot of 1 Tb discs :)
You can get even it cheaper here:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... dbEiB8NaPw
Customs could make that less of a bargain though for EU customers. Don't be surprised if it turns out that buying directly from Excito is actually cheaper than this alternative.
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

Who are IOCell? Is that a white label product or something?
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

they're the same dudes it seems

http://www.iocellnetworks.com/contact/
johannes

Post by johannes »

No, IOCELL is an old distributor we had in the US some time ago. They are not anymore, but obviously they still have some stock. I'll ask them to update the contact information, it's not correct that we are their swedish branch, that does not make sense.
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

Will OP be continuing to maintain the update repos and Easyfind service? Will this change be invisible to users in that regard?
johannes

Post by johannes »

RandomUsername wrote:Will OP be continuing to maintain the update repos and Easyfind service? Will this change be invisible to users in that regard?
Yes.
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

johannes wrote:No, IOCELL is an old distributor we had in the US some time ago. They are not anymore, but obviously they still have some stock. I'll ask them to update the contact information, it's not correct that we are their swedish branch, that does not make sense.
And also the dot on their map is not in Limhamn, rather somewhere in Germany :D

/Daniel
gonk

Post by gonk »

DanielM wrote:And also the dot on their map is not in Limhamn, rather somewhere in Germany :D

/Daniel
Excito has been in Hyllie the times I've visited them.
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

gonk wrote:
DanielM wrote:And also the dot on their map is not in Limhamn, rather somewhere in Germany :D

/Daniel
Excito has been in Hyllie the times I've visited them.
Haha... So even the address was wrong on that page... Well, anyway I don't think you'd see the difference between the dot being in Limhamn or Malmö on that map scale :wink:

/Daniel
pa

Post by pa »

Dear all,

During this summer OpenProducts and Excito has been working on a deal whereby OpenProducts would take over the responsibilities for the B3 product line.
Over time it has become more and more evident that OpenProducts do not have the resources needed to maintain both the B3 and at the same time continue our ordinary day to day operations. Trying to do so would most likely end in bad attention on both the B3 product line and OpenProducts other development efforts.

So it is with a sad heart that we must announce that OpenProducts have chosen not to proceed taking over the responsibilities for the B3 product line.
We still think that the B3 is a wonderful product, still with a lot of potential, and we think it deserves better attention than what we can provide at the moment.

With deepest apologies

Tor & PA, OpenProducts
Ubi

Re: [Cancelled] OpenProducts to take over Excito B3 product

Post by Ubi »

Considering that resources are something you can just buy, this all reads like marketing speak meaning the B3 line is not cost-effective in the long run. As Excito itself seems not to keen to maintain the product, and the people who know the product best do not see a profitable business, this does not bode good news for the future of B*.

It would be interesting to know what the actual bottleneck is.
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

My guess is this:
We have a product that is marketed as an easy-to-use home appliance that any Windows, Mac, or Linux user can set up and use without fuss.
The fact that it can do so much more that being a NAS, and that the majority of owners use it for so much more, and you cannot make it do what you want without a fuss: causes a problem.
It will have to be maintained. It has to be supported. Endless requests for new features are coming in. Not like some NetGear or D-Link product where there might be a new firmware every other year.
Ergo: Cost and effort/revenue ratio does not make it a sound business any more.

Just my 2 cents. I'm really sad to see it go.
Puma

Post by Puma »

Dear Tor and Pa,

This is dissapointing to hear....
The Bubba server series are indeed wonderfull products that deserves to be maintained / developped.
I was and still am convinced that OpenProducts could do this (you did it before....)

I am sincerely hoping that it gets some attention....maybe you can reconsider...

I agree with Ubi that excito has not been active lately and this surely cannot be the main reason to decline.

Please do reconsider and if its only resources lacking I am willingly to accept that risk.

Puma
Linux is like a wigwam - no windows, no gates, apache inside!
gonk

Post by gonk »

pa wrote:So it is with a sad heart that we must announce that OpenProducts have chosen not to proceed taking over the responsibilities for the B3 product line.
We still think that the B3 is a wonderful product, still with a lot of potential, and we think it deserves better attention than what we can provide at the moment.
Thanks for the update despite it being really bad news.

Instead of concentrating on what will not happen it would be much better if you could share some news on what your plans are for the future.
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

This is not for PA to decide. The ball is now back in Excito's court, and I think many would appreciate a response from that end.