New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Bubba as a web server?

How are you using your Bubba? Got ideas for a cool modification? Share!
Tim

Bubba as a web server?

Post by Tim »

I have had a Bubba for a couple of months now, and am very impressed.

So, I was wondering if I should purchase another Bubba to use as a dedicated 'real' web server for a professional group that I am involved with.

The group has about 600 active members (probably only 250 or so who would look at the web-site), so say a maximum (ever) of 10-30 concurrent users. The web content is ~20 static web pages and about 30 PDF newsletter files (largest about 1MB in size).

The proposed server would have a static IP connection to the internet via a router and a 1500/256kbps ADSL connection with a 12GB/month usage limit.

Has anyone any experience of running anything like this? If it works reliably it would save us about €400 a year.
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

Hi Tim,

I have my bubba exposed to the internet (not static IP, but I use ddclient to update the DNS if the IP changes), and I have seen as many as 482 concurrent TCP connections. Note that these were not web clients but bittorrent clients (i.e. connections living longer than the normal HTTP request). My network connection is faster than the one you are describing, but I can't see a problem with performance if you are just going to serve static material.

Cheers

/Cheeseboy
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

Hi again,

Having said the above, please be aware that I have a theoretical maximum connection speed of 24Mbps down and 8Mbps up.

/Cheeseboy
Clive

Post by Clive »

I think for what you are using the Bubba Webserver for it should just be fine. Complex PHP pages can run a little slow on Bubba, but static and download pages should be just fine. Least it is with mine, I do not notice much of a difference between my old 'proper' server and Bubba in this respect.

You should note that 10-30 concurrent users is alot of users all requesting page downloads at the same time. One of the applications I look after we have 3500 users but only ever less than 10 who are concurrent with each other. Downloading a static webpage should be no problem in this respect.
osa

Post by osa »

You can test your bubba/apache performance with 'ab' - apache benchmark
Tim

Bubba as a web server? - It works!

Post by Tim »

I have now done some experiments with my Bubba on a small LAN, and then across 2 LANS, each joined by ADSL through different ISPs.

First of all, I set up a Mac to run the Apache bench mark across a 100Mb LAN to Bubba using "ab -kc 30 -t 120 http ://192.168.2.4" in a Terminal window on the Mac. This simulates 30 busy concurrent connections over 2 minutes. I had a ssh connection to Bubba, so I could run top to see how Bubba performed.
Here are the results: Bubba1

So, about 98% of the requests were served in under half a second, and whilst Bubba was running at near maximum CPU utilization the memory used by webserving was ~50%.

This was encouraging, so I then ran the same LAN test over 5 minutes, and, at the same time ran "ab -kc 10 -t 120 http ://*.*.*.*/" from the other LAN via the ADSL connections.

Here are the results: Bubba2

Most of the results came back in about 1.2 seconds - the transfer rate was 24.67 Kbytes/sec.

The final experiment was to run 200 concurrent connections on the LAN with "ab -kc 200 -t 120 http ://192.168.2.4" as shown: Bubba3

Almost all of the requests (95%) came back within half a second. I also ran the same ADSL test for about a minute at the same time from the other network, the results were similar to the first run.

The conclusion is "You should be able to use Bubba for a small/medium size web site". For most small/medium websites Bubba's connection to the internet is likely to be the main bottleneck. Considering its modest specifications, Bubba performs brilliantly - I am even more impressed than before.

/Tim