New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Streaming issues Bubba --> Playstation 3

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
Cros

Post by Cros »

Hi!

I have also experienced this. It seemed that the bubba is lost to the PS3 for a while when it is indexing new media files (this is just a guess), but it will come back online without any interaction if you just wait. For me this happened when I copied some new mp3-files to the bubba and tried to stream them on the PS3 immediately. So wait a little while and see.

At least this has been my experience.
TazUk

Post by TazUk »

Cros wrote:Hi!

I have also experienced this. It seemed that the bubba is lost to the PS3 for a while when it is indexing new media files (this is just a guess), but it will come back online without any interaction if you just wait. For me this happened when I copied some new mp3-files to the bubba and tried to stream them on the PS3 immediately. So wait a little while and see.

At least this has been my experience.
My media has been static for a while - bubba's media server has been down now for a week.

The restart of the UPNP service resolved the issue for the moment - I'll have to monitor it for now.
TazUk
--
The 'Net is a waste of time,
and that's exactly what's right about it.

William Gibson
TazUk

Post by TazUk »

Well it's disappeared again..

Was up this morning (I accessed to check before going to work).
Got home and it's vanished again.

Restarted UPNP service and back up (for the moment anyway).
TazUk
--

William Gibson
TazUk

Post by TazUk »

Still having to restart the UPnP service - it seems to drop at least every 12 hours :roll:
TazUk
--

William Gibson
TazUk

Post by TazUk »

Am I the only one experiencing this repeated dropping of UPnP?
TazUk
--

William Gibson
tor

Post by tor »

TazUk,

Could you describe the dropped connection some more? Your PS3 does not find Bubba any more? Does it still show up on a regular Windows PC when this happens?

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer
TazUk

Post by TazUk »

When it drops it doesn't show up on:
1. PS3
2. Philips Streamium SLA-550
3 Windows Vista Network Map.

After restarting the UPnP service it shows up on all 3 devices after a couple of minutes for propagation
TazUk
--

William Gibson
tor

Post by tor »

Hi TazUK,

Ok, does this happen even if the PS3 isn't connected to bubba? And when it happens. Can you still reach the Mediatomb web-ui, most likely found at http://bubba:49152/ Does the PS3 show any error message? (Fx "access to the server was denied")

/Tor
TazUk

Post by TazUk »

Thanks for responding Tor.

I've had mediatomb streaming successfully for up to 9 hours in one go (to the Streamium).

It seems to drop when not actively in use - ie I go home after being at work all day and it is not available without a restart.

The PS3 simply doesn't find the media server when it's not active. I've never had an issue with access on any device when mediatomb is running.

I'll test the web-ui access tonight when I get home and report back then.

UPDATE
Well I'm at home, and the mediatomb ui is up via web access but the media server cannot be seen by the Streamium, PS3 or Vista.

It looks as though bubba renewed it's DHCP lease at 23:48 last night (1 day lease) - is it possible this could mean that the media server element is simply hidden from the network on renewal of the IP address ?
(although the address assigned is always the same)..

Bubba is linked to the network through a Buffalo Wireless Extender which hooks into a WPA 802.11g wireless network with hidden SSID run off a Linksys WRT54GS-UK v4.0 router.
TazUk
--

William Gibson
TazUk

Post by TazUk »

I posted a reply here a couple of days ago, but now it's vanished...

I'm posting back here as I am still having to restart the UPnP service periodically to get Mediatomb available. I'm running the latest firmwares on all devices involved, but bubba cannot be found as a music server on an almost daily basis.

Any ideas anyone? It's a right pain to have to fire up a laptop just so I can listen to some music...
TazUk
--

William Gibson
tor

Post by tor »

Hi tazuk,

Could you try moving bubba onto the wired network and see if that makes any difference?

/Tor
TazUk

Post by TazUk »

Thanks for responding Tor.

As it happens I'm replacing the wireless bridge over the next few days with some homeplug kit (VESENET 85mb) as I'm surrounded by neighbours who can't configure their wireless connections properly *sigh*. I'm getting interference that kicks the bridge and wireless printer off the network about twice a week. At first glance this does seem to be a separate issue though as the interference has only been a problem for the last couple of months - someone near me got a pre-N router for Xmas I think :roll:

I'll post back once I have the kit wired in, hopefully within the next week.
TazUk
--

William Gibson
TazUk

Post by TazUk »

Well, bizarrely it looks like the homeplug networking solved the issue. Media server's been up without issue for 4 days straight now - a personal best! I'm curious as to why this would solve the problem, but either way I'm happy. :D
TazUk
--

William Gibson
innersphere

Post by innersphere »

In my (not so massive) experience, the Bubba doesn't cope well with network disconnects, and I often have problem finding it again - for mail or even file system stuff sometimes.

Having it wired prevents the hiccups that the often dodgy wireless setup creates :)
RealElwood

Post by RealElwood »

I'm having problems to get my PS3 and MediaTomb to coop. i've put some files on Bubba, a couple of Mpegs and some divx movies also MP3's, but all the PS3 can see are the Mpegs, for all other it says "unsupported format", it can't even play MP3's from Bubba.

Is this a PS3 realated issue or does it have something to do with bubba??? PS3 and Bubba updated to latest versions....

PS3 using wireless, bubba hard wired to router..