New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Disk rpm speed

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
albert

Disk rpm speed

Post by albert »

I haven't got my bubba yet, but in some specs I saw that disks can either have 5400 or 7200 rpm speed. What is the standard speed of disks now delivered with new bubba servers?
johannes

Post by johannes »

We are currently shipping Seagate Barracudas, at 7200 speed. This due to superior reliability and the lowest noise. We earlier shipped Samsung Spinpoint at 5400 rpm, but these aren't manufactured anymore.
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
dsp76

Post by dsp76 »

Hi,
smartmontool reports my harddisk as:

Device Model: HDS725050KLAT80

So do I have a hitachi drive or is it reporting a from type? I consider my harddrive in bubba rather loud (sounds like a fan) ...

Dirk
johannes

Post by johannes »

Hi!

Oh, you are probably one of very few customers having a Hitachi Deskstar (500 GB?) assembled. Sorry to hear that it's loud, our intention is always to assemble the quietest disks available.

If you can't live the noise, please contact us (support@excito.com) and we'll see what we can do.
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
bjorn

Post by bjorn »

dsp76,

my bubba produced considerable resonance through my table and the sound was quite loud, but it went away when i put it on a book or something like that, make sure that the sound isn't just that with your bubba too.

I do however keep mine in the closet with the other computers now and am enjoying complete silence :)

/Bjorn