New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Kernel 3.2 for B2/B3

Discuss development on Bubba
ryz

Re: Kernel 3.2 for B2/B3

Post by ryz »

Hi MouettE,

Thanks for all the work.

The wireless card on the B2 does unfortunately not work with your kernel since one important driver options is missing. I guess it will be the same for the B3 but I have not had time to test that yet since I did brick my B3 trying to upgrade Uboot. The latest kernel source on github does not create a working debian package. I have take the freedom and cloned the repository and made some changes to enable the wifi and to make it create working debian packages again. You can find the repository here https://github.com/sterys/community-b3-kernel.git. Note that this is not made as an official debian release but an work in progress release. I am also quite new to git and have also not worked much with debian packagin so everything might not be top notch but it works for me.

To build a new package I first installed all needed packages which I do not remember who there where
and the cloned the git repository. In the root of that clone I did run

Code: Select all

git-buildpackage -us -uc
which take forever but in the end creates to debian packages in the parent directories that can be installed.
MouettE
Site admin

Post by MouettE »

That's good work thank you. I am currently unable to work on these things because I didn't receive my units yet. As soon as I can I will get back on kernel github repo and make it work for both B3s and B2s.
cinko

Post by cinko »

Thank you very very much MouettE!!!!!!!!

GREAT JOB! AWESOME!
basd82

Post by basd82 »

Moutte and ryz,

thanks for the good work, i tryded to compile kernels with the working for the wifi drivers , but if download version from the git from ryz , when i build deb package for my bubba 3 server. i installed it but after that my b3 doesn't boot any more so i reinstalled the old kernel.

Does one of you have new working kernel with wifi ?
cinko

Post by cinko »

basd82. How did you manage to install the old kernel back?
basd82

Post by basd82 »

I didn't i reinstalled
paulchany

Post by paulchany »

MouettE wrote:Hello everyone,

After wheezy install image and u-boot update, I managed to patch and compile a 3.2.61 kernel package for the bubba3 and the bubba|two. I choose this version because it's the one debian uses in wheezy. It runs apparently fine on my b3 and on my b2, so I need some volunteers to test it.

up to date binary packages : To install the kernel, download the bubba3-kernel_3.2.62-1_armel.deb or bubba3-kernel_3.2.62-1_powerpc.deb file and install it with :

dpkg -i bubba3-kernel_3.2.62-1_[armel|powerpc].deb
Note : you can ignore the warning about modules.builtin. I will try to correct it in a future version.

Note that the B2 version works fine with the old version of u-boot shipped with the board (the u-boot bug is specific to the kirwood SoC of the B3)
I downloaded and installed this kernel:

sudo dpkg -i bubba3-kernel_3.2.62-1_powerpc.deb bubba3-kernel-headers-powerpc_3.2.62-1_powerpc.deb
(Reading database ... 78617 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace bubba3-kernel 1:2.6.39.4-13 (using bubba3-kernel_3.2.62-1_powerpc.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement bubba3-kernel ...
WARNING: could not open /lib/modules/2.6.39.4-13/modules.builtin: No such file or directory
Preparing to replace bubba3-kernel-headers-powerpc 1:2.6.39.4-13 (using bubba3-kernel-headers-powerpc_3.2.62-1_powerpc.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement bubba3-kernel-headers-powerpc ...
dpkg: warning: unable to delete old directory '/lib/modules/2.6.39.4-13': Directory not empty
Setting up bubba3-kernel (1:3.2.62-1) ...
Setting up bubba3-kernel-headers-powerpc (1:3.2.62-1) ...
I'm going to reboot now..

After reboot I get the following kernel running:
$ uname -a
Linux b2 3.2.62-1 #1 Mon Aug 25 04:22:40 UTC 2014 ppc GNU/Linux
:D

Thank you very much, MouettE!! :)

Now I think I have a possibility to setup my Bubba2 with hostapd and with the ZyXel NWD 2205 as a Home WiFi AccessPoint. :D

Is there any tutorial on Bubba Wiki how to do that properly?
Best, Pali
ryz

Post by ryz »

basd82 wrote:Moutte and ryz,

thanks for the good work, i tryded to compile kernels with the working for the wifi drivers , but if download version from the git from ryz , when i build deb package for my bubba 3 server. i installed it but after that my b3 doesn't boot any more so i reinstalled the old kernel.

Does one of you have new working kernel with wifi ?
Well to be honest I have not been able to boot my b3 kernel either, i have not had time to check whats wrong thought. The B2 version works great.
ryz

Post by ryz »

cinko wrote:basd82. How did you manage to install the old kernel back?
What I tend to do is to boot with an rescue stick and mount / that is usually /dev/sdb1 and then change the root folder

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
chroot /mnt /bin/bash
After that you do have an bash believing it runs from the hard drive and you can use most of the commands that is you can use "dpkg -i" to install packages. You should even be able to use apt-get if you have an working Internet connection. It should also be possible to mount /home going around the problem that the rescue system does not have support for lvm partitions. Remember to do an exit from the chroot before trying to shutdown the system.
paulchany

Post by paulchany »

MouettE wrote:Hello everyone,

After wheezy install image and u-boot update, I managed to patch and compile a 3.2.61 kernel package for the bubba3 and the bubba|two. I choose this version because it's the one debian uses in wheezy. It runs apparently fine on my b3 and on my b2, so I need some volunteers to test it.

up to date binary packages : The source package is available on the excito github : community-b3-kernel

Note that the B2 version works fine with the old version of u-boot shipped with the board (the u-boot bug is specific to the kirwood SoC of the B3)
I think the kernel http://files.la-mouette.net/bubba/bubba ... owerpc.deb is not compiled with support for the rtl8192cu kernel-module.
So I'm trying to compile it myself.
What I did sofar is followings:

svn co https://github.com/Excito/community-b3-kernel
I get the directory community-b3-kernel/ but now I don't know where to find the kernel source in this directory?
Best, Pali
paulchany

Post by paulchany »

paulchany wrote: I think the kernel http://files.la-mouette.net/bubba/bubba ... owerpc.deb is not compiled with support for the rtl8192cu kernel-module.
So I'm trying to compile it myself.
What I did sofar is followings:

svn co https://github.com/Excito/community-b3-kernel
I get the directory community-b3-kernel/ but now I don't know where to find the kernel source in this directory?
OK, I realize that that in the source directory I can run following commands to build the custom kernel:

git clone https://github.com/Excito/community-b3-kernel.git
cp /boot/config-3.2.62-1 community-b3-kernel/
make oldconfig
make menuconfig
here I set the module for
Realtek RTL8192CU/RTL8188CU USB Wireless Network Adapter
Then I execute

make
sudo make modules_install
dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -b -apowerpc
but at these last step I get an error message:
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/csanyipal/BubbaKernelek/LeforditottKernelek/Community-b3-kernel/community-b3-kernel/debian/build/source'
dtc -b 0 -V 17 -R 4 -S 0x3000 -I dts -O dtb -f debian/dts/bubba.dts >
debian/dts/bubba.dtb
/bin/sh: 1: cannot create debian/dts/bubba.dtb: Directory nonexistent
make[1]: *** [override_dh_auto_build] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/csanyipal/BubbaKernelek/LeforditottKernelek/Community-b3-kernel/community-b3-kernel'
make: *** [build] Error 2
dpkg-buildpackage: error: debian/rules build gave error exit status 2
What should I do to solve this problem?
Best, Pali
MouettE
Site admin

Post by MouettE »

You shouldn't try to build the kernel from master branches in git because the repositories are probably broken for now. You should download the 3.2.62-1 tagged source from here :

community-b3-kernel-debian-1-3.2.62-1.tar.gz

untar and then follow the instruction on the wiki from 'Customizing the kernel' to add your missing module and compile the package.
paulchany

Post by paulchany »

MouettE wrote:You shouldn't try to build the kernel from master branches in git because the repositories are probably broken for now. You should download the 3.2.62-1 tagged source from here :

community-b3-kernel-debian-1-3.2.62-1.tar.gz

untar and then follow the instruction on the wiki from 'Customizing the kernel' to add your missing module and compile the package.
OK, I have downloaded community-b3-kernel-debian-1-3.2.62-1.tar.gz.
I start

make menuconfig
From the menu 'Load an Alternate Configuration File' I'm trying to enter the desired path:
arch/powerpc/configs/bubbatwo_defconfig
but in the text field I can't neither move the cursor with Left or Right keys nor delete to the left with BackSpace the default '.config' filename.
Why occures this problem here on my Bubba 2?
Should I just manually copy the 'arch/powerpc/configs/bubbatwo_defconfig' file into source directory as '.config' file, so I don't must to Load this file in menu config?
Best, Pali
axm

Post by axm »

Whats the status of the kernel?

Sorry if this is considered too old to be revived, but it is probably better than starting a new thread. I'd like to install a minimal debian kernel on my B2. Over the years I somehow managed to upgrade from the preinstalled debian (etch?) to jessie (... and somewhere on that road I learned that shooting yourself in the apt is painful - not advisable). Apt is still complaining with the probably expected errors (udev requires support - devtmpfs; W: mdadm:...), so I'd like to fix the system state before the next release comes.

My current state:
uname -a
Linux bubba 2.6.32.13 #1 Tue May 25 12:01:56 CEST 2010 ppc GNU/Linux
cat /etc/issue
Debian GNU/Linux 8 \n \l
cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.6.32.13 (tor@tor-desktop) (gcc version 4.3.4 (crosstool-NG-1.5.1) ) #1 Tue May 25 12:01:56 CEST 2010

I tried:

wget http://repo.excito.org/pool/main/l/linu ... owerpc.deb
# which is where the kernels live now, apparently
dpkg -i bubba3-kernel_3.18.27-1_powerpc.deb
dpkg: error processing archive bubba3-kernel_3.18.27-1_powerpc.deb (--install):
trying to overwrite '/boot/bubba.dtb', which is also in package bubba-kernel 1:2.6.32.13-1

What does this mean? Am I using the right kernel for a B2 at all? Are the old and the new kernel incompatible and cannot be installed at the same time? Is it possible to uninstall the old kernel and directly install the new (yes, relevant data backed up)? How would I install the old one back in a failing scenario (using chroot I presume - but how to restore the kernel)? Is there a safe(r) intermediate step? I could do a reinstall with the provided debian image (thanks!) but I would like to avoid setting the system up from scratch.

ls /boot/
8313E21.dtb System.map-3.16.0-4-powerpc bubba.dtb config-3.16.0-4-powerpc initrd.img-3.16.0-4-powerpc uImage vmlinux-3.16.0-4-powerpc

aptitude search ~i~nkernel
i bubba-kernel - This is the Linux kernel for bubba
bubba:~#

Thanks in advance,
axm
axm

Post by axm »

nobody? :(