New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

BitTorrent download disappearing after reboot

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
Ubi

BitTorrent download disappearing after reboot

Post by Ubi »

I just found out that if I submit a Torrent for download, and then reboot, the download manager 'forgets' the torrent, but does not remove the (incomplete) files. Is there any way around this?
Last edited by Ubi on 30 Jul 2007, 06:58, edited 1 time in total.
bubbalibre

Post by bubbalibre »

Hi Ubi,

You're right. The download manager, ftd, is loading the torrents to be downloaded in memory. Therefore, your downloads are "lost" when you reboot your bubba.

You can resume the downloads by submitting the same torrents again.

I tried to work around this and came with a new function : add from folder, described here. This is part of my 'tiny little hack', which modify the bubba web interface. The last release can be found here.

If you try it, please tell me what you think.

Best regards
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

Yeah i figured something like that, however reloading the torrent does not work. If I do that the torrent never starts. I had to remove the partial files for it to work again
tor

Post by tor »

Hi Ubi,

You are right, as bubbalibre also said, in that if you reboot your Bubba the downloadmanager forgets currently ongoing downloads. Since we planned for Bubba to be always on we didn't prioritize resume download.

That of course turned out to be a weakness. So the next update of the download manager contains both the features resume on restart and as a bonus, automatical download of torrents whose torrent-files are stored in a special torrent directory.

Regarding re-adding a partial download using the same torrent file. That should work. But if you are restarting big downloads it can take a substantial time before the actual downloading resumes. This is due to the download manager checking which parts where already downloading by checksumming chunks of the download. And on big downloads that, as said, can take quite some time.

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer