New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

New Bubba B3 only blinks purple

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
viggonavarsete

New Bubba B3 only blinks purple

Post by viggonavarsete »

Hi,

I've just recently bought a B3 and inserted a Kingston SSDNow V300 480GB 2.5" OEM. When I start it it only blinks purple and nothing happens. What could cause this? Do I need to install something on it, or is things "preinstalled" on it?
Binkem

Re: New Bubba B3 only blinks purple

Post by Binkem »

Hello,

The B3 has ist OS installed on the HDD/SSD. As you inserted a blank one you will need to put an install image onto a USB stick and then have it install the OS. You may find the install image at:

http://wiki.mybubba.org/wiki/index.php?title=Resources

Please browse this forum for install instructions.

Martijn
viggonavarsete

Post by viggonavarsete »

Thank for the input. I received a USB stick with the installation files from Excito, so I could pretty easy start what you suggested:) I plugged the USB into the B3, pressed the rear button while powring up the B3. The light got green, I released my finger, and the light turned to blinking turtle (meaning it's installing the system according to the installation instructions found herehttp://wiki.mybubba.org/wiki/index.php?title=Re-installing_your_Bubba_Server_/_Bubba2_/_B3#B3).

The problem is that it doesn't take 10-15 minutes. I've let my B3 work alone for a couple of hours now, and the purple light is still blinking, so I'm wondering what it's doing. I've also tried after two hours to restart the whole process, and I'm now in my second attempt and nothing is new. Still waiting for the LED turning blue, but it doesn't happen :(

Anyone that can help me out debugging what's going on?

johannes

Post by johannes »

This could be a few things, either a bad disk, or (more likely) a bad USB stick. Try another stick and download fresh files from the link suggested above. Make sure to unzip the installer and place it directly on to the USB stick (not in subfolders). I hope it helps!
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

one thing I keep on forgetting: why dont we just make a ghost image for the B2/3 and flash the disk straight away? That'll keep us from all thos usb problems we keep on having
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

As mentioned in a previous thread: you can break into the installer while it is running, because it is in fact the rescue system. With the WAN port connected to an internet router, find the IP address that was assigned to it and SSH into the box (u:root, p:excito). You can then use gdisk to verify that you can access the disk and verify the partitions on it. You can also manually perform the various installation steps and tweak partitioning, because as we found out not to long ago the location of the swap partition is not well chosen.
viggonavarsete

Post by viggonavarsete »

Thanks for new input:) I'm trying to download to another USB stick tonight.

Another question: Is it correct that all the leds for LAN and WAN should blink all the time? I've connected a cable from the router to the LAN-port on the B3.
viggonavarsete

Post by viggonavarsete »

Anyone who can tell me what it means that both the LAN and WAN led leds blink all the time? Is it a serious issue? (in addition to not being able to install the software on it, even using another usb stick..)
viggonavarsete

Post by viggonavarsete »

*IT WORKS*, I haden't extracted the install files correctly, all files within the install folder was at the root of the USB stick. As soon as having the install folder on root, the install process took less than a minute:) Thanks a lot guys :)