New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Debian 10 "Buster"

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
Pressurized

Re: Debian 10 "Buster"

Post by Pressurized »

Gordon wrote: 25 Nov 2019, 17:22... Need to note that your system partition seems a bit too tiny. ...
I'm taking that onboard. '/var' on a similar server is modestly small whereas on a PC where Ubuntu 18.04 is installed it's grown to 4.4 GB, which would be challenging to my b3! So I'm going to figure out why that is and perhaps change b3's configuration accordingly.
I'm less worried by cronjob emails as I've configured them to be sent to me rather than b3's root. While I suppose this means that they'll still be stored somewhere in the first partition (likely /var?), at least I would become aware of a growing problem because my email traffic would become tedious before I filled my system partition - probably... perhaps.
guyran

Post by guyran »

Thanks Pressurised for the prompt reply and all the details of your modification. In fact, I have created the same setup in the fstab file after repartitioning with gparted using my dekstop. On refitting the hard drive everything worked as normal and I was able to make the modification to have a separate home. I didn't need to copy much as I haven't created my previous users yet, I'l copy their homes from the old drive.
I'm pleased that thanks to MouettE's work I have an up-to-date version of Debian so it will be easier to synchronise with unison for example, With the old Debian I couldn't update unison so the two versions couldn't communicate.
I;ll have a fair bit of work reinstalling programs setting up shares etc. but with the extra space and a newer hard disk I feel more reassured about being able to do backups.
Thanks again,
Guyran
Registered Linux User #546337 @ linuxcounter.net
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Pressurized wrote: 25 Nov 2019, 17:42 I'm less worried by cronjob emails as I've configured them to be sent to me rather than b3's root. While I suppose this means that they'll still be stored somewhere in the first partition (likely /var?), at least I would become aware of a growing problem because my email traffic would become tedious before I filled my system partition - probably... perhaps.
That will depend on your MTA. I remember in the old days having seen emails being stored in a single /var/mail/<username> file, but if you have postfix it will first go to /var/spool/postfix/ and from there on be transferred to its final destination (if postfix is started and the email is deliverable). Typically this will be a maildir construct that is inside the user's home directory. In the old Squeeze based system this caused an issue because root did not have a maildir, thus the cronjob emails were undeliverable and would clog up the system partition at some point. The trick indeed here is to make root an email alias of a regular user so you can use a regular email client on a remote machine to read and delete them (and take steps if the emails are the result of some error or misconfiguration).