New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Bubbagen live-USB for B3 version 1.16 revision 1 (Gentoo Linux 6.1.41)

Discuss development on Bubba
Gordon

Bubbagen live-USB for B3 version 1.16 revision 1 (Gentoo Linux 6.1.41)

Post by Gordon »

Hi,

I've just released an update to version 1.16 of the Bubbagen live-USB image for B3 on GitHub.

This is purely a maintenance update bringing all packages up to date as of August 20, 2023.

As before, two versions are supplied, one that uses the `classic` OpenRC service manager and one that uses the `modern` systemd service manager. Which version you choose is a matter of taste. People that run Linux desktop systems will likely prefer the systemd version for uniformity in their network but personally I find the command line tools for managing networking pretty complex/restricting whereas in the OpenRC version adding network functionality such as PPPoE connections and VPN is really easy.

If you don't know / can't decide, choose version 1.16.1 (OpenRC)

Systemd image entering phase out support
Following up on user feedback I found that networking support in the systemd image has become more crippled over time. This might partly be due to the somewhat unusual setup of NetworkManager which should fix itself once the user sets a static IP address, however this defeats the intended experience that the Live-USB aims to offer. Because of this I have decided that this will be the last systemd image to be published, however this does not mean End Of Life. The systemd targets will remain in the Bubba overlay, allowing users to transition from the default OpenRC system to systemd should they wish so.

Key features:
  • Kernel version 6.1.41
  • Familiar GUI for basic management (users, network, firewall, predefined services)
  • Logitech Media Server version 8.3.1
  • Wireguard VPN prepared (works with e.g. an Android phone)
  • The Onion Router (TOR), get access to sites that are blocked by some geographic location rule
  • Out of the box Windows and Mac compatible file sharing service (NAS)
  • Will connect to any existing network (with a DHCP server) or create one itself (when connecting you will receive an IP in the range 192.168.10.x)

Known issues ²):
  • When changing the time zone the web interface may show you an incorrect time on some pages (the extensible clock on the right is actually javascript and thus should show your client's time rather than the B3's). To align them all you should restart the B3 (or at least apache2 and bubba-adminphp services).
  • Changing the network profile may completely destroy networking on the B3 if you have wifi enabled or added custom interfaces and/or bridges. If you need to change the profile please do so before making any changes to the default network setup and then never touch it again.
  • Systemd has been observed to randomly experience a conflict with the DHCP client, causing it to drop the affected interface completely. A reboot will be required if you have no other method of reaching the B3 (second interface with fixed IP, serial console).
  • Systemd version does not allow you to view system messages through the web based GUI. The associated links will always show an empty file. Messages from services that write their own log files, e.g. Apache webserver, Samba (windows compatible) file sharing, Logitech Media Server, can be viewed as normal.
  • New: Systemd version does not execute DHCP exit hooks, causing various networking issues.

Further details may be found here

Enjoy,
Gordon

¹) Some packages withheld due to patent restrictions or because the newer versions are incompatible with core Bubba functionality.
²) These truly seem unresolvable, don't they?
delvago

Re: Bubbagen live-USB for B3 version 1.16 revision 1 (Gentoo Linux 6.1.41)

Post by delvago »

Hello Gordon,
somehow I can't get access to the web interface after installing this image. http://b3/ shows "Redirecting..." and then it can't find the page. Access through ssh is functional. When I plug in a PC into the LAN on B3 it can't get an IP. I tried several times with different USB sticks. There is a HDD inside the B3 with an old debian install, I think the last original one. Can you give me some ideas what to look after to get OpenRC version running on my B3? Thank you in advance.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

I ran some tests and it turns out the the fallback address method doesn't really work as expected (any more)

One of the things I noted is that the DHCP client does not execute the exit hooks when it issues the fallback address. It also turns out that the DHCP server is in fact not started when the fallback address is activated. I'm working to have that solved in the next release. For now, if you can access the console you can manually start the DHCP server using

Code: Select all

rc-service dnsmasq start
To make this persist between boots you should add the service to the default runlevel:

rc-update add dnsmasq default
The problem with the Web GUI is a tricky one. My suspicion is that on your B3 the battery for the onboard clock has gone dead which causes the unit to start with time set to 1:00AM on Jan 1, 2000. This somehow causes an error within the logic of the GUI and the page doesn't display. The error gets resolved when system time is set to a date after somewhere in 2015. I'll see if I can come up with a fix for that as well.

To set the year to 2024 you can do

date 010101002024
delvago

Post by delvago »

Thank you, Gordon!
I've managed to get access to the web interface with setting the static ip on my PC to match the network in B3 on lan. Then i've changed to only server mode. And after i've read your answer I changed the battery, it was a mess.... Now it is ready to survive another 10+ years.
Thank you!