New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Power consumption etc

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
dcrobinson1965

Power consumption etc

Post by dcrobinson1965 »

I am thinking of buying a "diskless" Bubba, since I am quite happy installing Linux (Debian probably) using a network boot, and configuring all the services by hand.

My questions are:

1. Can I fit a 2.5" IDE disk using standard mounting rails and IDE adaptor?

2. The quote on the website of <10 watts power consumption... is this with a 3.5" disk, as sold by Excito? Is so, I guess the power consumption is about 3 watts with a 2.5" disk?

3. Just how fast is a 200MHz ARM? I currently run a Via Eden EN1200 setup for pretty much everything Bubba does, but can Bubba cope with, for example, serving web pages with SSL without a big slow down?

Dave Robinson
Malvern, UK
johannes

Post by johannes »

Hi,

1. Yes, should be no problems.

2. Yes, the 10W is measured including a 320 GB disk. Consumption without disk is only less than 1W measured at the 12V inlet, but probably 3-4W on the mains power adapter since it gets less efficient with less load.

3. That of course depends on what you wan't to do. HTTP transfer rate is about 50-60 Mbit/s, HTTPS or SSH is slower, about 20 Mbit/s since it's heavier on the cpu load.

Note 1: You can't (without a lot of effort at least) install anything else than our Debian distribution. Since we don't run on an X86 architecture (but ARM), this is quite complicated. However, since you mention Debian, I guess that's no issue.

Note 2: We have a money back guarantee, if you aren't satisfied (for instance with performance etc.) you are welcome to return your unit. Look at our web site for more information.
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
dcrobinson1965

Post by dcrobinson1965 »

The Bubba power consumption figures are excellent. Currently my "low power" Via home server uses 19W (measured at the plug) with a 2.5" disk. This seems too much to me, given that a Mac Mini I owned 2 years ago only consumed 22W, and was vastly superior in every way!

20Mbit/s is fine for me... I am on the end of a UK ADSL connection (< 0.5 Mbit/s), so that's no problem. Even if I serve pages with Apache Tomcat, the network is still likely to be the bottleneck, I would think. And memory, if I use Tomcat!

As you say, Debian has an ARM distribution, which I was planning to install over the network (I am reasonably familiar with Ubuntu Server at the command line level, so that doesn't scare me). Will "vanilla" Debian install OK, or are there custom modifications to the standard distribution for the Bubba hardware?

(thanks for the quick response, by the way!!)
tor

Post by tor »

Hi,

Regarding Debian, ARM and Bubba. A default install should work. The only really HW part besides the Kernel is a small application to control the front LED.

I would however recomend that you use our "Pure Etch" install, http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?t=861 as a base. That way you will get these as well.

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer
msx

Post by msx »

dcrobinson1965 wrote:Even if I serve pages with Apache Tomcat, the network is still likely to be the bottleneck, I would think. And memory, if I use Tomcat!
Note that i don't think anyone managed to have Java working on bubba.
More info on this thread