New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Couple of questions while I wait for my bubba to delivered

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
ids

Couple of questions while I wait for my bubba to delivered

Post by ids »

I am moving from a 2003 server to the bubba. I have ~200gigs worth of data I want to move from the current server to the bubba, what is the fastest most painless way to go about this?

The current server is ntfs. I assuming I can't plug the bubba drive into the windows server due to it filesystem, but can i plug both of them into a linux machine and copy the files that way? I know I can transfer them via samba or ftp but 200gigs is going to take a week that way.

My other question is about the bit torrent. My current setup is utorrent sitting on the win2003 server. It not only keeps an eye on a specific dir that I drop torrent files in but also does rss. From what I have read the bubba solution does neither of those. Would it be possible to install java, the console version of azureus, and their web admin software?
johannes

Post by johannes »

If I'm not mistaken, linux machines can't write to NTFS file systems, right? However, transferring via FTP should only take something like 12 hours if I did the math correctly (5-6 MByte/s). Note that FTP is faster than SAMBA on bubba.

Regarding bittorrent, yes, you could probably install anything you wish, but bare in mind the limited resources, it may get quite slow.

Check out bubbalibres wonderful hack:
http://excito.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=302

It doesn't support RSS, but does support torrent files from directory if I understand everything correctly (bubbalibre, please correct me if I'm wrong).

You can also check out the torrentflux howto, by bjorn:
http://excito.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=89
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
ids

Post by ids »

The NTFS-3G driver can read and write ntfs, but 12 hours isn't as bad as I was expecting.

I figured Azereus was going to be hard on the system and from what I have read you do need to install it via gui to get the console version to work, so that may be out of the question.

Both these features are fairly common in torrent clients nowadays, I hope you guys can incorporate them soon.
bubbalibre

Post by bubbalibre »

johannes wrote:Check out bubbalibres wonderful hack
Thanks again :oops:
johannes wrote:It doesn't support RSS, but does support torrent files from directory if I understand everything correctly.
That's correct. The rss feed is a good idea though. I'll try that :wink:

ids, could you tell me how behave utorrent's feed. I know the software and recommend it to windows users, but don't know much about this particular fonctionnality.
What informations does it give ? Only the finished downloads, or more ?
Clive

Re: Couple of questions while I wait for my bubba to deliver

Post by Clive »

ids wrote: My other question is about the bit torrent. My current setup is utorrent sitting on the win2003 server. It not only keeps an eye on a specific dir that I drop torrent files in but also does rss. From what I have read the bubba solution does neither of those. Would it be possible to install java, the console version of azureus, and their web admin software?
I can only add my praise for Bubbalibres "hack" , My main computer is configured so that all *.torrent files are automatically saved via a mounted Bubba partition into /www/torrent/ and then from the Bubba UI I only need to click on the 'Download from folder' icon to get the torrent to start.

I dunno why Excito do not include this hack into the main build :?: It is the functionality I use the most !

I would also add that for some reason I find the uploads from Bubba bittorent client to be seriously faster than Azureus and Ktorrent I was using previously....

Good luck with your Bubba :D
ids

Post by ids »

i have two shared folders on my server, a torrents folder and a completed folder.

if i dl a torrent file from a site firefox puts it in that torrents share. where utorrent sees it and automatically starts downloading the torrent. in this case when the torrent is complete is it moved to the completed folder where i get to it.

i also have rss setup through a few sites so as soon as a torrent meeting certain criteria comes online utorrent grabs it and starts the dl. here when the dl is finished utorrents sorts the finished file to a particular sub dir on another share depending on the torrent (ie filed by tv show name).
bubbalibre

Post by bubbalibre »

ids wrote:utorrent sees it and automatically starts downloading the torrent.
Unfortunately, my hack won't see the new torrent automaticaly. You'll have to push a button...
ids wrote:in this case when the torrent is complete is it moved to the completed folder where i get to it.
There is only one directory in which the files are downloaded. You need to use the web interface to know what's finished.
ids wrote:i also have rss setup through a few sites so as soon as a torrent meeting certain criteria comes online utorrent grabs it and starts the dl.
Ok. I thought the rss feed was for finished downloads...
For checking rss feeds on a regular basis, you could use a web feed reader instead. I suggest netvibes for that.

Regards,