New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

B3 not getting IP through DHCP

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
karl-petter

Post by karl-petter »

Hi,

I have my B3's WAN port connected to a Dovado Tiny router in bridge mode with a 4G USB modem connected to the Tiny. If I connect my laptop with an ethernet cable to the Tiny my laptop gets an IP but not B3 when I connect it to the Tiny. I have configured the B3 WAN to obtain IP automatically(DHCP) through the web interface.

Any ideas what can be wrong and what I could do to fix this?

Best Regards,
Karl-Petter

/Kalle
070-774 67 97
Gordon

Re: B3 not getting IP through DHCP

Post by Gordon »

:?:

Didn't you state before that this problem had been observed to happen more often if the Tiny was in bridge mode?

To find out what's happening your best option would be to use a network sniffer - see the DHCP request go out en what the Tiny responds (if even). The obvious quick fix is to change the B3 networking parameters and set static values for IP, routing and DNS.
karl-petter

Post by karl-petter »

Sorry. I was tired and frustrated uesterday evening had completely forgot about that post! Thx for reminding me.

It seems to be some kind of cache issue because if I let the B3 and Dovado be disconnected from each other for a long time(+12h) it works when I connect them again.

/Kalle
070-774 67 97
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

No worries. Happens to the best of us :wink:

Actually that sounds more like a timing issue. DHCP leases have a lease-time property and it would stand to reason that the B3 does not issue a new request (a renewal) until that lease-time is at the point of expiring.

You can also manually trigger a DHCP request by issuing the command `dhclient eth0` and if it is a recurring issue that the B3 looses it's connection to the Tiny, you could think of writing a cron script that tests for the connection to be still up and run the dhclient command if it's broken.
karl-petter

Post by karl-petter »

Tried both 'dhclient eth0' and to take the interface up and down(ifconfig eth0 down) and neither helped.

But as you said it sounds like a timeout issue, where though is unknown:)

/Kalle
070-774 67 97
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Some things to try:

You could install tcpdump and let that run in a second terminal session to observe what traffic dhclient initiates and receives. Run `tcpdump -i eth0` to not clog up the screen with traffic from your terminal session on br0.

Also you could specify some explicit commands to dhclient to release the current registered lease before attempting to request a new one, i.e. `dhclient -r eth0 && dhclient eth0`