New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Does anyone have issues connecting to VPNs?

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
RandomUsername

Does anyone have issues connecting to VPNs?

Post by RandomUsername »

I don't use my work VPN very often so I can't say exactly when it stopped working, but once upon a time it worked flawlessly.

Sometimes it will connect straight away, sometimes it won't connect at all even after successive attempts, sometimes it will connect but will disconnect after a few minutes. Very occasionally, it will stay connected for an hour or more. Although Wireshark sniffs suggest there's traffic moving in both directions, indicating the connection requests are getting through to the VPN concentrator, there's nothing in the logs at the other end to show I tried to connect.

I think the it stopped working at about the time I got a new Internet connection so it's probably something to do with that. I know it's not my laptop as it works flawlessly from other locations.

There is nothing in the B3 logs etc to explain it and I'd be surprised if it was the B3, but you never know.

It's a simple PPTP VPN and I'm using the built in Windows 7 VPN client to connect.

TIA.

Darren.
Binkem

Re: Does anyone have issues connecting to VPNs?

Post by Binkem »

To be sure: the B3 is only involved in this as your router? The VPN connection is made between a server at work and your PC?
Do you connect via WLAN or wired? If its via WLAN you might try it wired to see if that's the problem. Otherwise perhaps try bypassing your B3 and see if it works then.

Martijn
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

lol, I should have mentioned this. B3 is my router. Same problem when wired or WLAN. It is on my list of things to do to try a different router but its a bit involved.
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

Hi Mate,

I had a similar problem. There was little understanding from the I.T. guys at work when I tried to explain my setup at home. So I took my Work laptop to the I.T. guys, connected it through VPN software they had installed via both my phone's 3G connection, and the public WiFI network we offer our customers at work.

I have no idea what the solution was, but there was a lot of head-scratching, and best of all - it was no longer my problem :-)

Cheers,

Cheeseboy

EDIT:
I should perhaps have mentioned that the problem remained outside my network....
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

Thanks. My problem is I am one of the IT guys. Also, the VPN works fine over a 3G dongle and from other connections, so it's definitely something to do with my house.
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

Hmm. I thought the problem existed on both wires and wireless connections, but I was connected for 40 minutes eaier over a wires connection. That puts a different spin on things.