New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Sonos

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
dutt

Sonos

Post by dutt »

Hi,

I'm looking around for speakers suitable for the setup I want at home. Ideally I'd like to be able to play or control music from my stationary computer(running linux), my macbook air and my android phone. My thought was to have the b3 as the central part of this, and am now looking for suitable speakers. I've run into the Sonos speakers that seem to have a fair reputation and are wireless which is nice.

It seems to be based on the itunes protocol so from what I can see it should work but this is just guessing. Have anybody else used sonos speakers with a bubba server?
Cheeseboy

Re: Sonos

Post by Cheeseboy »

Hi Dutt,

I've got a speaker from Bose that can play music from any Bluetooth-capable device, like my phone or laptop.
The music being played through said devices often originates from the B3, but it does not drive the speakers themselves. I guess it could be done by installing a USB soundcard and couple it up with your sound system, but I think it removes the idea of having the server as a point of storage (and service provider), rather than trying to attach sound and video capabilities to it. It would also remove features such as my music turning down when the phone is ringing, just as an example.

As a comparison I have thousands of FREE PUBLIC DOMAIN films stored on my B3. I do not connect the B3 to my TV to play them, but rather to a media renderer that is designed for the job of displaying them on the TV (or on my phone or whatever).

If you are into Apple things and use iTunes for everything anyway, sure - go ahead. You could probably get it to work. But what you are after is probably already out there - for free.

From the sonos webpage:
TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR MUSIC
Wirelessly manage all your music
Create playlists for anywhere in your home
Organize everything you listen to in one place
Individually control the volume in every room

DOWNLOAD
MAC/PC
iPad
iPhone/iPod
Android
It seems like there is vital part missing in the list above...
But hey, it will probably be made to work with Linux - with some effort.
If you are not willing to do it yourself, check out what others have done.
B3/Excito is not the only linux based media-solution, look around and see if it works with Firefly on other products, or if someone has already come up with a nice solution. Many of the consumer-market NAS-solutions are linux-based and have solutions that can be adapted.

My advice would be to look for a product that already has the Linux logo on it's sales material though.

Just my 2 öre :-)

/Cheeseboy

EDIT: I have no copyrighted material on my server. Really, I don't!
Binkem

Post by Binkem »

I'm using the squeezebox range from Logitech. There's different setups for this, both the touch / receiver which transfers music from the b3 to your stereo and the squeezebox radio which is a standalone player. There's out of the box support installed on your b3, but sadly Logitech discontinued the range,though there may be a chance of getting a good deal buying a set.

Martijn
bartvvr

Post by bartvvr »

I've stored my own CD's in FLAC format on my bubba B2, and I use a SONOS CONNECT in my living room, and a SONOS AMP in my home office. And I've a portable PLAY3 as well.
All you've to do is the 1st time is to tell the Sonos where you're music files are, there you fill in the share name, for instance //BUBBA/storage It works almost instantlky out of the box.
This works perfect for a long time already.
Bart
majo

Post by majo »

I use my B3 with Sonos and it works great.
I use it as storage for my music and access Sonos from XP, Vista, W7, Android phone and Android Pad
I have a Sonos connect